Traction Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil_A.

Reaction score
I have a problem. It's a nice problem to have, but it's still a problem.

The 6.2L engine makes so much low-end torque that, anytime the road is wet, I either have to feather-foot it away from a light or engage the rear e-locker. If I don't, I will get tremendous wheelspin from one wheel because of the open diff. And even if I lock, I still get chatter and bucking.

Why didn't Ford use something like the Ected diff., which is a limited slip when unlocked and a spool when locked? Fully open or fully spool may be OK for pure off-road use, but is downright dangerous on the street and does not allow me to use my engine hardly at all. Does anybody know of a different (aftermarket) setup that might work better on the street and retain selectability?

Or maybe it's the BFG tires (which, unlike most of their ATs, is not severe-snow rated). Would going to a different tire get me better wet traction? Any suggestions?

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
dosent the torsen diff change this problem on the 2012's i know this doesn't help you but could be fords fix to it

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
Yup I've nearly slid into a center divider covered with trees from cornering too quickly. It's a good problem

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Same problem here... I just hope it goes good thru snow because the flakes have already started falling. I'm getting new tires under warranty so maybe some fresh, soft rubber will grip a little better than the dry rot ones I have now do - probably wishful thinking tho!

Sent from my iPhone

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, but I've been known to be, isn't the rear diff suppose to "act like" a limited slip when the locker isn't engaged???.......in which case your one wheel peel might be a problem.....

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, mine locks up all the time when I am in sand or dirt. I never have problems, rain or snow, getting traction and you're just talking about when the ground is 'wet'? I don't know what you're doing, but you're doing it wrong.

You do not want to use 4HI on pavement.
You do not want to use E-Locker on pavement.

Just drive.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its fun:confused: Put it in off road mode, that'll tame the throttle response down.