Taiming the beast!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wbimota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called dealer and got my VIN!!! so now I have things to prepare. ;)
BTW
From my home country, many ppl taiming new cars. It doesnt really mean taiming, more like let the car get used to driver and ready for normal use, but we call it taiming. People do the taiming thing for around 3000 miles, not reveling over 2500~3000 rpm. I did taimed my previous car G37s coupe for 3k miles too and then I went to trip to Las Vegas cruising like 700 miles, after then, i changed oil and do whatever i want to do with my car.
Many people say, now-a-days the technical level gets way higher than old time, so i dont need to taim my new car, but there are bunch of people still doing it. Even my G37s was leasing one, i did, so why not for my purchasing Raptor?
I just wanna ask you guy that have you done like this thing for your car?
Let me have common sence in the US. :p

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the background on your country (which one is it?) and taming or "break-in" as we call it here in the US.

There are lots of opinions - as we say, "opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one". What's becoming clear is that engine and transmission designs and machining tolerances are better than ever so are the lubricants, filters and the understanding of their performance. This has, over the years, reduced the need for break-in.

My last car, 2008 BMW M3 coupe was an exception as BMW called for 1200 miles of non-redline performance. I'm not sure it was called for to protect the engine and transmission rather, I think it's intended to give the driver a chance to learn what the car can do and protect him/her from him/herself.

Nowadays I'd say, no jackrabbit starts for the first *** miles (*** = pick a number: 250, 500, etc.) and no hard braking and stay away from constant speeds for lengths of time (tough to do if you're on an after-purchase drive home, etc.).

Some swear by changing the oil and filter after the first *** miles but the factory doesn't typically call for that anymore.

Another thing we like to say here is "YMMV" - You Mileage May Vary.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I think you're probably talking about proper break-in. From the owner's manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a
trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
usage.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The break in period is extremely important on any car or truck, motorcycle or whatever you have. Go easy for the first month and do maintenance a lot

OP
OP
wbimota

wbimota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for bunch of new information for me!!!
break-in!!!
ill be just lil bit careful for 1k miles.
and i saw YMMV from other posts and was thinking what it means lol
thanks guys

Dan, im from Korea~