Soooo bought a 2018 @ $7000 OFF msrp!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1mbrews8

Reaction score
* warning* long story

I didn't believe it.

No one on the FB groups thought it was possible.

Asked dealer 10 times if they were going to swap prices, VIN, etc and if that 7k was off ADM once I drove the 5 hours there...

$$$ day's before $$$

I was commenting on a YouTube vid about crazy ADM on a raptor and another guy mentioned this one dealer had one in NC and was the lowest he'd seen.

I looked on their website and they had 2 at 7k off! A 2017 and a 2018.

I naturally thought they were just another dealer "accidentally" posting wrong price to get more views to the dealership. Figured the 2018 would be a better deal, so I took pics as evidence lol and emailed to confirm prices,etc.

They fixed price online a day after I emailed them and started talking to them.

Them seemed nice even though not surperb reviews. I got 3 salesmen and the GM to confirm price and no additional fees/scams.
Had to send $500 non-refundable deposit that day (wed) and pick up sat (today).

I did, after handwriting on agreement that they would have to hold the truck for me and if they did anything where I would not be able to buy it they would pay me that back the $500 ... and more for wasting my time!

Get our finances in order and all that jazz and head up there this morning.

Get there and everyone is pretty nice, give them the main bank financing check (~48k) to go and get everything ready. Truck is already cleaned up and looks good.

Then I go to cut them a check for the other 20k and then they say oh we don't accept out-of-state checks. I'm like what the hell? No one ever said anything like that to me!

So getting pretty pissed, I started on the way to the bank but of course this is Saturday at like 3 o'clock so they're all closed. Can't pull out 20K of a ATM so figure I'm going to have to stay here till Monday to make sure these jerks don't beat me.

Then we have a brilliant idea that we can just use our debit card since it pulls straight out of our account and they say "oh no the part shop closed at two so we can't get access to the credit card machine."

So I'm thinking this is all part of the master plan so they can say sorry the deals off, keep my $500, etc.

I told the general manager he better figure this out or I'm gonna go ballistic. So he finally finds the key to the sales office for the parts division and goes in there and gets things I guess working.

I try to use the debit card but I guess 20,000 at once is obviously too much for most people so the bank card does not go through. I call BB&T # on card to let them know it's OK to let the 20K go through, just so happens that they're doing maintenance and there's no live operator LOL!

The wife comes to my rescue again. We travel a lot so we just got a new visa Marriott points card with a limit of $30,000 :)

Whip it out and use it as just a regular credit card since we can just pay it off next month and get to keep all those points :) and good to go! They are out of excuses :)

So in the end, not sure if they really meant to screw me or if it just so happened to have all those things add up together to cause the scare of deal falling apart...

2018 SCREW
$70,050 msrp
$63,000 price before tax (yes mine is damn 7%), tag, title etc.

I believe this is the deal record and I'm pretty proud of it :) took some work and some luck but glad to be part of the group!

Love this truck!

Attachments

• IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 123
D

Deleted member 12951

Seems like a good deal. Highway Use Tax, never heard of that, perhaps something common in your area. Do you owe sales tax in your state too? I am in MO and bought in KS but I didn't pay the dealership anything more other than fees. When I titled the truck, I had to pay sales tax and registration to my home state only.

Surprised they didn't stick you with an additional $600 since they lost that in the credit card fees, if I was the dealership, I would have. Guess they made it up in that ridiculous $500 admin fee plus that $329 title fee ********. Most I've ever paid is half that and even then its too much.

Its pretty common for them not to accept personal checks especially out of state. That was one thing I asked up front and had to get a cashiers check instead to bring to the dealership. So you should of asked. What if it bounced, not saying yours would but if they made that a habit, you know they would get the bad end of the deal eventually. Harder to prosecute someone out of state.

I assume that you looked over it with a fine tooth comb? Just thinking perhaps lot damage....because that much off it below invoice and eating their hold back.

You did good though compared to what offers are paying and have paid. Good job.

Last edited by a moderator:

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Highway use tax?? What state are you in? I got mine for msrp was around 64-65k. No use tax. So, your deal isn't that good lol

Good job for swooping it up tho and congrats

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assumed the highway tax was sales tax ..., if it's not and still owe sakes tax then you get a better deal then most but not 7k more like $1500 below after all their ******** high priced fees

D

Deleted member 12951

Highway use tax?? What state are you in? I got mine for msrp was around 64-65k. No use tax. So, your deal isn't that good lol

Good job for swooping it up tho and congrats

Yeah, I question that Highway tax too. Looks like the max would of been 3% so only $1890 but then for out of state buyers, the max is only $250.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/tax/

So in reality he basically got about $2,000 below MSRP. Not as good as it first sounded but still better than what others have been paying. Seems kinda shady though that the dealership is going to give NC the $250 and pocket the difference...

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His profile says he's from GA, which means it's not "highway use tax" it's "ad valorem tax."

Basically, we have a one time tax when we buy a vehicle, but no yearly property tax.
Since he bought in NC, they probably just don't have it set up in their system, and could only code it as Highway tax or whatever they might have in NC.

D

Deleted member 12951

His profile says he's from GA, which means it's not "highway use tax" it's "ad valorem tax."

Basically, we have a one time tax when we buy a vehicle, but no yearly property tax.
Since he bought in NC, they probably just don't have it set up in their system, and could only code it as Highway tax or whatever they might have in NC.

Guess that could be it. Using GA calculator, they would show the purchase price at $63500 to have the tax be $4445. So NC is going to pay GA that amount or does the dealership send GA a check for that amount?

https://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/tap/welcome.aspx

Guess since you have to pay that tax and its covering your state, seems like a good deal overall.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess that could be it. Using GA calculator, they would show the purchase price at $63500 to have the tax be $4445. So NC is going to pay GA that amount or does the dealership send GA a check for that amount?

https://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/tap/welcome.aspx

Guess since you have to pay that tax and its covering your state, seems like a good deal overall.
Dealership pays the state. Part of the tag process.
If you buy private party, you pay the tax when you go to get your tag.

If you buy from a dealer, you sign a limited power of attorney to the dealership to conduct the tax/tag business with the state of GA in your name.

I know, because I just bought my Mustang in NC a couple of months ago haha.