Prospective Owner - New member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fostrw

Reaction score
Hello! I just joined the forum with the intent to do my research on a Raptor. I'm currently driving a 2015 M3 and a 2016 VW GTi (winter car). I love performance cars (a couple tuned subarus, 2 M3s), but I've never had a performance truck. The GTi lease is up in ~10 months and I'm looking to get into a truck. I'd like to exit the lease early if possible. I drove my dad's F-150 for ~4 weeks and now the family is 100% behind getting one!

On to the Raptor. I'm looking at new, but not averse to going used. I found some used Raptors in the area at a reasonable price point. I'm hung up because I'm not sure if I should go new, wait for the Raptor-ized Ranger, or even the Bronco (although that's a bit further out).

I'll review the stickies, but if you have any points to consider new vs used or other, please let me know.
Thanks

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome, I would stay away from used gen2 s just because there's been a few lemons in the first year. If your used to leasing you would used anyway.

OP
OP
F

fostrw

Reaction score
Thanks. Are there any significant changes to the 2017/18 models over previous generations that make it worth considering? To clarify, are motor options or safety features significantly different? I would consider a graphics package or headlight changes significant.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

The 2017/18’s have been absolutely no more “lemony” than any other era of Raptor. People see what they want to see, but nobody has produced any numerical or statistical evidence showing anything along the lines of the
“sasquatch77 preferred narrative”.

The 2013/14 MY Raptors are showing about a mid 40’s in price point. As you will see here with research, their owners are loyal and the trucks have done well over the years. It’s a good truck and in particular if you’re prone to go a little overboard with mods, no warranty to be worried about in most cases.

The 2017/18 introduce lots of electronic bells and whistles, new motor/trans and heavy use of aluminum. It’s lighter, more powerful and significantly quicker. it’s also getting better fuel economy.... until you tow with it and then the mpg tanks. We’ve also seen sub 9mpg during significant off road use.

I have mixed feelings about the electronically controlled drive modes. I know they’re the rage now, but in my opinion it’s too “cookie cutter”. They’re close, but I’d have some tweaks in my perfect version of the truck. To me, this is another point of potential failure. I remember having a sticky Exploder transfer case that needed to be coaxed with a hammer until I got the solenoid fixed. Of course, that was a 90’s era UV ( there is nothing sporty about an exploder).

I’m not sure what your vehicle needs/wants are, but, the Rap is a big truck. the G2 is 66.5” tall and despite what others say she is not fat. she’s just big framed. Parking and daily use require more effort and thought than your typical sedan.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I debated a used Gen 1 vs a new Gen 2, how much did I want to spend, what options did I want, for the price difference of buying a loaded Gen 1 with 35k miles vs a Gen optioned the way I want, spending the extra 18k or so for a new truck with all the things I wanted was a no brainer....YMMV.

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just joined the forum with the intent to do my research on a Raptor. I'm currently driving a 2015 M3 and a 2016 VW GTi (winter car). I love performance cars (a couple tuned subarus, 2 M3s), but I've never had a performance truck. The GTi lease is up in ~10 months and I'm looking to get into a truck. I'd like to exit the lease early if possible. I drove my dad's F-150 for ~4 weeks and now the family is 100% behind getting one!

On to the Raptor. I'm looking at new, but not averse to going used. I found some used Raptors in the area at a reasonable price point. I'm hung up because I'm not sure if I should go new, wait for the Raptor-ized Ranger, or even the Bronco (although that's a bit further out).

I'll review the stickies, but if you have any points to consider new vs used or other, please let me know.
Thanks

Welcome, I'm in a similar situation. Currently driving a 2016 4runner with a serious lack of power and I'm looking to rectify that, I like to go fast. I think I've settled on going the Gen2 route (thats my thought today at least, changes often) if I decide on the Raptor. I test drove both Gens side by side and they are both great trucks. I just like the look of the Gen 2 better, simple as that.

I don't think I could buy a Ranger just because they were such pieces of crap back then.

I don't think I will wait for the Bronco. i am interested in it, but I figure the resale on the Raptor is so good that I could buy now and sell it later if I really wanted the Bronco.