Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > New Member Check-In
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

New Member Check-In

Prospective buyer

This is a discussion on Prospective buyer within the New Member Check-In forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pierceography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Prospective buyer
Hello all. My name is Adam and I just joined this group in search of a raptor. I have been wanting to get Ken for years, but never made the move. I am about to finally order one, but heard they may be bringing back the v8. If thatís the case, I may want to wait, however I assume they will also raise the price, in which point I may never get one. If I could get a couple opinions from real raptor owners, that would help my decision very much. Should I buy now? Is the v6 sufficient? Or should I wait? Thank you all!

-Adam

snapxshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The consensus is generally that there won't be a V8 Raptor anytime soon/at all. My opinion, buy it now... If a V8 Raptor is released and you want it and can afford it, sell the V6 and buy the V8.

Looking forward to this thread getting out of hand though.
reaper1441 likes this.
pierceography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Welcome to FRF.
Zeke555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Originally Posted by snapxshot View Post
Hello all. My name is Adam and I just joined this group in search of a raptor. I have been wanting to get Ken for years, but never made the move. I am about to finally order one, but heard they may be bringing back the v8. If thatís the case, I may want to wait, however I assume they will also raise the price, in which point I may never get one. If I could get a couple opinions from real raptor owners, that would help my decision very much. Should I buy now? Is the v6 sufficient? Or should I wait? Thank you all!

-Adam
-Adam, you need to drive one of the current models, 1 or 2 of the guys have run the 1/4 mile here and I believe one of them got a high 13 second run. Respectable for a 5700 pound 4 door truck. A V8 would be a huge direction change for the Rap, the new truck is designed around weight loss and dropping in a V8 with the same torque means giving up all the weight loss.

I have zero regrets with the 2017.

Ford is selling them like they are going out of style so if youíre serious, buy it.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

aka etalian2005

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

I owned a 2013 Gen 1 for nearly 4 years and put 52K miles on it. Iíve had the Gen 2 for 6 months and 5K miles now. The truck is faster, more fuel efficient so Iím happy with it.

Does it sound as good as the old V8? No. Are oil changes more of a pain in the ass? Yes. Those are my only two complaints.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

My advice: See if you can find a GEN1 in good condition. The GEN2s may be faster and lighter, but the EcoBoost and 10 speed transmissions seem to have more problems than the 6.2L V8 with the 6 speed transmission. If reliability is a factor in your purchase decision, you may truly value the iron V8.

"I like my coffee black, and my tea in the harbor." - Jay Posey, author
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
My advice: See if you can find a GEN1 in good condition. The GEN2s may be faster and lighter, but the EcoBoost and 10 speed transmissions seem to have more problems than the 6.2L V8 with the 6 speed transmission. If reliability is a factor in your purchase decision, you may truly value the iron V8.
there isnít enough of a statistical sample to compare across model years, but no, thereís nothing more than what you want to or choose to see. They may seem to you to have more problems but add up the numbers. It wonít be as favorable as you think since the Jennifer has 5 model years, all getting up there in years and mileage now.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by snapxshot View Post

-Adam
Have you driven the current raptor yet? Go drive one and decide for yourself.

I personally am waiting for the 2019 specs to be released since it's only a few months away.

If I decide I want a 2019, I'll order one. If I don't see anything special for the 2019, then I'll buy a 2018.
FmaxTurboSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Thank you everyone for your help. Sorry Iím the 117th person to ask the same question and sorry if it got a little annoying. Iíve been eyeing this truck for at least five years and have recently been able to almost afford it. Never made the move, and Iím about to but I just need that extra push. I would wait, but Iím afraid they will raise the price another $10k at which point I may never end up getting one. Thanks again!
snapxshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I'm in the camp that thinks a V8 Gen2 seems unlikely -- but possible. Sounds like you've already come to the conclusion that if you wait too long, you'll miss out on a few years of enjoyment and avoid inevitable future price hikes.
dhawks is offline   Reply With Quote