Newbie from MD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GGGGOAT

Reaction score
Hello all! So I've always wanted a Raptor and now it looks like I'm moving forward on finally purchasing one. Today I sold my 2001 Ford F350 Dually Diesel and am now officially in the market! I believe I'm leaning towards the SVT 6.2L. Any pro's/con's I should be aware of? Anything I should be looking out for on these trucks? Just now starting this journey and am looking for any advice I can get.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to this adventure!

Tim
Severn, MD

OP
OP
G

GGGGOAT

Reaction score
Welcome, Tim. SCABS Rule!!!

Thanks! SCAB... SCREW... both have pro's and con's. From what I've read so far, the SCREWs have larger fuel tanks and better towing/payload ratings? I plan on towing my car with this as well.

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome aboard and best of luck in your search! The 2013/14 models have some improvements over the earlier models...better headlights, reinforced frames, etc.

The 6.2L is supposedly significantly better and more reliable than the 5.4, but I can't say that for a fact. Just what I've gathered in my time here on FRF.

Do you have a budget in mind? That will help determine what year(s)/mileage you can expect to find in that price range.

OP
OP
G

GGGGOAT

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard and best of luck in your search! The 2013/14 models have some improvements over the earlier models...better headlights, reinforced frames, etc.

The 6.2L is supposedly significantly better and more reliable than the 5.4, but I can't say that for a fact. Just what I've gathered in my time here on FRF.

Do you have a budget in mind? That will help determine what year(s)/mileage you can expect to find in that price range.

Thanks for that bit of info. So it looks like I'll be looking for 13/14 SCREW 6.2L. Trying not to go over $40K? I found a tan 13 at Carmax in KY yesterday for $39K (92K miles), but it looks like it's gone today. :-(

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that bit of info. So it looks like I'll be looking for 13/14 SCREW 6.2L. Trying not to go over $40K? I found a tan 13 at Carmax in KY yesterday for $39K (92K miles), but it looks like it's gone today. :-(

Anytime!

If you don't want to go over $40k, you might need to either look for higher mileage 13/14's (which you don't seem adverse to), or perhaps broaden your search to 2011-12's with some lower mileage. Just need to decide on what is most important to you.

Best of luck! Setup a saved search on cargurus.com to email you anytime a new Raptor pops up. That's what I did and it was a huge help.

OP
OP
G

GGGGOAT

Reaction score
Anytime!

If you don't want to go over $40k, you might need to either look for higher mileage 13/14's (which you don't seem adverse to), or perhaps broaden your search to 2011-12's with some lower mileage. Just need to decide on what is most important to you.

Best of luck! Setup a saved search on cargurus.com to email you anytime a new Raptor pops up. That's what I did and it was a huge help.

Yeah, I noticed that I probably need to bump that up to the $50K range. LOL I'm pretty much set on a 13-14 SCREW 6.2L. I've found a couple at Carmax in the mid $40K range, one in particular (silver, sticker delete) 56K miles for $45K. If you do the math, that's still a lot of miles for a 3 y/o truck.

Thanks for all the info! MUCH appreciated guys!

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Think about it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but most vehicle model years were released the year before (e.g. a 2014 was released in 2013, probably later in the year).

So if you're looking at a '14, it was probably sold late in 2013. Meaning it's had ALL of 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 to be driven, and some of 2018 and potentially some of 2013. Let's call it 4.5 years worth of being driven.

Therefore, 56k on a 2014 is, roughly, 12k miles per year. That's not a lot! And my point is even further proven if this is a 2013. You're talking more in the 10k miles per year range.

At the end of the day, these trucks are meant to and built to be driven. These things have shown themselves to be bulletproof. Just take care of it, and she'll take care of you!

Good luck, man! Keep us posted.

OP
OP
G

GGGGOAT

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Think about it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but most vehicle model years were released the year before (e.g. a 2014 was released in 2013, probably later in the year).

So if you're looking at a '14, it was probably sold late in 2013. Meaning it's had ALL of 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 to be driven, and some of 2018 and potentially some of 2013. Let's call it 4.5 years worth of being driven.

Therefore, 56k on a 2014 is, roughly, 12k miles per year. That's not a lot! And my point is even further proven if this is a 2013. You're talking more in the 10k miles per year range.

At the end of the day, these trucks are meant to and built to be driven. These things have shown themselves to be bulletproof. Just take care of it, and she'll take care of you!

Good luck, man! Keep us posted.

Thanks! So I'm looking at this one! The "sale pending" is for me! What do you guys think?

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/For...MI2p2O6eyX2QIVRg03Ch3YTATEEAEYASABEgLMD_D_BwE