Newbie from LV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ldennison

Reaction score
Hey all. Newbie to the forums :baby:, though I've been reading stuff on here for a good year or so. I got my raptor about 6 months ish ago and figured I should actually register on the forums so I can pick more experienced brains from time to time. I came from an F150 and have been getting into desert offroading more and more over the last few years. I'm currently in Las Vegas, but likely going to Phoenix in the next couple months.

My raptor is a 2013, all stock right now except for mid perch and some aux lights in front. I'm currently in the process of putting in an in-bed spare tire carrier, and I'll be upgrading the tires to Toyo M/T 35s and wheels to 17 somethings (undecided there) sometime in the next couple months. Been holding off on that because I've been highway driving relatively more than normal recently, and I figure there's no sense in putting highway miles on new M/T tires unless I have to. I really hate the stock look, though, and I haven't had noticeably good performance out of the stock BFG A/Ts any time I've been off pavement (not that I expected anything different).

Not entirely sure of a future list of mods, but some things have been rolling around in my head for a bit. I typically take a shitton of time to research and plan things (which is what first got me reading FRF posts), so who knows what I'll eventually decide on. But a possible list nonetheless, in no particular order:
- New tires/wheels as I mentioned
- Spare tire carrier that I'm about to install
- Stubby antenna because honestly every time I get into my garage, I feel like the whip is going to kill someone
- New exhaust. No idea what specifically, yet
- Custom headlights? Purely cosmetic, but I like the look of a lot of things over at raptorretrofit.com. I'll probably look into that sooner rather than later
- New paint/coating job? Don't hate the silver, but also don't love it. I also pinstripe the shit out of my truck on narrow trails, so some things to be considered there
- Maybe a new front bumper? I don't hate the stock bumper, but I've seen a few others that I've liked. It would probably affect my current front aux lighting, too, so likely a bigger deal.
- Suspension upgrade? I've seen a lot of people talking about various different setups. I think I've become a little partial to Icon suspension for raptors, but I'm not decided or really researching that heavily right now. The stock suspension isn't presenting too many limits to me right now, so I'd probably have to get a little more committed to my offroading to justify an upgrade like that (or really modifying the suspension at all beyond the mid perch adjustment, which I think is relatively trivial).

Anywho, just saying hello. Hope to learn from some of y'all. A few pics attached... please don't let the stocky-ness burn your eyes :D

Attachments

• 20160618_153947.jpg
    20160618_153947.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20160520_181640.jpg
    20160520_181640.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 66

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
read, read and read all the good info here. such a great place to learn about what you have. congrats

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to all Raptors even stock Raptors.
Nevada requires both a front and rear license plate.
Las Vegas Metropolitan police will be all over that missing front plate.
You'll be safe running only the rear license plate in Arizona when you relocate.
Welcome to the FRF.

OP
OP
L

ldennison

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback and comments!

About the plates, I appreciate the heads up. Nevada DMV confirmed for me that you only have to have front plates if your vehicle has a permanent mounting mechanism for front plates, which mine does not (not sure why? my previous F150 didn't either. do other people have a bracket or holes in the bumper for mounting a front plate?). Rear plates are always required, of course. I've been here for about a year and no problems so far. But even if I were to get a ticket for it, I'm just biding my time until I get the hell out of Dodge/Las Vegas in a few months, and that's easier than trying to figure out to make a mount point for a front plate :D

raptor rick

Reaction score
did you already buy a spare tire carrier? i have 1 up for grabs if needed. congrats and welcome by the way