New Guy Phoenix, Arizona 2012 SCAB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Az FRF crew. Hook up with thearizonacowboy for an A.R.R. run in the future. He's trying to put together a good group of local guys to make some runs. His first run was a blast.

OP
OP
A

Azvrod

Reaction score
No thank you, 15 is my limit on Schnitzengrubens! Thanks man!

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Welcome to the Az FRF crew. Hook up with thearizonacowboy for an A.R.R. run in the future. He's trying to put together a good group of local guys to make some runs. His first run was a blast.

Thanks! Will do. Got the new tires on, having the shocks rebuilt next week at SDHQ. Been looking up and plotting out various trails around the state.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No thank you, 15 is my limit on Schnitzengrubens! Thanks man!

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Thanks! Will do. Got the new tires on, having the shocks rebuilt next week at SDHQ. Been looking up and plotting out various trails around the state.

A couple of day trip fun runs on the west side of the valley if you're interested.

1. I-17 to Bumble bee exit, go up to Crown King for lunch in the saloon. From there you can take the old Senator Hwy to the back side of Prescott. From there, you can go back to I-17, down through Yarnell, or even go from Prescott to Jerome for some options.

2. You could do the Bloody Basin road we did on the first A.R.R. from Cave Creek to I-17 and back down. Side trips from Bloody Basin road are the rd to the verde river and another to Horseshoe Lake. Fun run with some wide roads where you can open it up.

Lots of great back roads in Az to explore. Enjoy your new ride.

OP
OP
A

Azvrod

Reaction score
Thanks guys! OK I changed the fluid in the diffs, transfer and tranny this weekend, added a Banks Ram intake, and just got the truck back from SDHQ where they did the shock rebuild, replaced the lower ball joints and inner tie rods (it needed it and they had it up on the lift, otherwise I would have done them), and for kicks had them upgrade the upper control arms with Heims. So far the truck does feel less "floaty".

Has anyone in AZ done the road from Crown King down to lake pleasant? Ive read its one of the best in the state..?

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone in AZ done the road from Crown King down to lake pleasant? Ive read its one of the best in the state..?

I've done it a few times in the past on Dirt bikes. Never with the Raptor. There is one wash that may present a problem if there was a lot of water that went through with the monsoons due to the approach angle and how much the it may have washed out. This is just as you are heading up the Bradshaws. You could get some fresh desert pinstripes there in the flats around Castle Hot Springs too.

Always been curious how it is in these trucks. I know the Jeep crowd loves that run. Keep us posted if you go.

OP
OP
A

Azvrod

Reaction score
Latest

Hi guys, attached is a pic on Schnebly Hill Road over Sedona, great drive. Funny going by jeeploads of tourists paying for the priviledge. Update on the Lake Pleasant to Crown king road; My son did it in the Raptor with his Friend in a Rubicon. They made it 90% of the way south to north but encountered a wash with a large boulder in the middle (according to a guy in crown king its called table rock).. Anyway the Raptor made it, but the Jeep High Centered and caved in a skid plate that then caused the transfer case to overheat. They were able to get it off the rock but he could then only go into 2wd. They made it to Crown King and found an awesome guy with an old LandCruiser who crawled under and cut the plate on the jeep and only charged them $60 (if I ever meet this guy Ill buy him a beer). They discovered that the skid plate on the jeep was also the support for the gastank! (his remark was !@@$ Jeeps!). Anyway, they made it back, but the jeep was injured, the Raptor was scratched up and had some pretty good bangs on the undercaraige, but they did make it and said it was awesome. Looking at the damage, Im pretty sure if I had another 2'' of lift it would have cleared almost everything (Im at stock)

Take Care guys!
KJ

Attachments

• 20171104_100948[1].jpg
    20171104_100948[1].jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 33

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, attached is a pic on Schnebly Hill Road over Sedona, great drive. Funny going by jeeploads of tourists paying for the priviledge. Update on the Lake Pleasant to Crown king road; My son did it in the Raptor with his Friend in a Rubicon. They made it 90% of the way south to north but encountered a wash with a large boulder in the middle (according to a guy in crown king its called table rock).. Anyway the Raptor made it, but the Jeep High Centered and caved in a skid plate that then caused the transfer case to overheat. They were able to get it off the rock but he could then only go into 2wd. They made it to Crown King and found an awesome guy with an old LandCruiser who crawled under and cut the plate on the jeep and only charged them $60 (if I ever meet this guy Ill buy him a beer). They discovered that the skid plate on the jeep was also the support for the gastank! (his remark was !@@$ Jeeps!). Anyway, they made it back, but the jeep was injured, the Raptor was scratched up and had some pretty good bangs on the undercaraige, but they did make it and said it was awesome. Looking at the damage, Im pretty sure if I had another 2'' of lift it would have cleared almost everything (Im at stock)

Take Care guys!
KJ

Thanks for the update Vrod. I've wanted to take Schnebly hill rd for a while now and just haven't got around to it. :hitit:

Did your son go up by the Orabelle mine on the Crown King trip? As I recall from my Dirt Bike days many moons ago, that route up may be pretty steep and tight in a Raptor (of course a dirt bike cruised right up). Also was the wash in question here the big one just before you get into the uphill climb into the mountains? I recall that could get pretty "V'ed" out from flash flooding.

OP
OP
A

Azvrod

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Vrod. I've wanted to take Schnebly hill rd for a while now and just haven't got around to it. :hitit:

Did your son go up by the Orabelle mine on the Crown King trip? As I recall from my Dirt Bike days many moons ago, that route up may be pretty steep and tight in a Raptor (of course a dirt bike cruised right up). Also was the wash in question here the big one just before you get into the uphill climb into the mountains? I recall that could get pretty "V'ed" out from flash flooding.

Not sure about the route by the mine, but from the description, yes the problem wash was the big one just before you head up the mountains, according to the guy in crown king, some guy tried to dynamite the big rock in the middle a while back, but only made it worse. I will tell you the truck got scratched up and dinged up pretty good, so if you are very protective of your baby, you might think twice. After that route and inspecting the damage, I have added a transmission skid plate (which covers back to the trans cross member and would have protected it somewhat. Im also looking for a differential skid plate other than the one by Foutz ($300 seems steep to me), so if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
KJ