this is my first truck, what should I always have with me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
daily driver, 95% pavement - never owned a truck before...

what tie-downs, straps, tools, etc do you always keep in your truck to make it -um, truck-worthy? :)

interesting list :)
Ten Things Your Truck Shouldn't Be Without - PickupTrucks.com News

• Jumper cables
  • tape measure
  • box of matches
  • box cutter
  • one bottle unopened water
  • a small axe
  • a folding shovel

recommendations for Alaska :crazy:
  1. Large caliber gun. .45-70 guide gun, shotgun or .480 caliber pistol would do.
  2. Arctic gear for up here, or water and shade tarp for the desert. You will die without it.
  3. Sat phone.
  4. Good first aid kit.
  5. Mountain house food and a jet boil. You can live a long time with that combo.
  6. Good sleeping bag and bivvy sack.
  7. Great boots for if you have to walk out.

Last edited:

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would add a good flashlight, I use a rechargeable, stays plugged in console so always ready. Course personal preference here- I like a Kimber .45 and a Colt AR-15, you might like other guns.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Current credit card - gotta have gas!

I've never had to jump start my truck, change a tire, or ran out of gas. So when I leave on a trip, I just make sure I have cash and credit cards for food and gas. Maybe a concealed friend for those that wish us harm. The above suggestions are good ideas though......

Mr Roarke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current credit card - gotta have gas!

I've never had to jump start my truck, change a tire, or ran out of gas. So when I leave on a trip, I just make sure I have cash and credit cards for food and gas. Maybe a concealed friend for those that wish us harm. The above suggestions are good ideas though......

Agree, i always keep $50. under the mat, just in case I forget the wallet. I keep tie downs in the back compartment and a couple bunji straps. Always have a hand knife somewhere. That's really all that's needed other than a small pad of paper and a pen in center console.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on where you are going / expect to be. When I am just driving around town, I don't haul too much aside from a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and a couple of tie downs and some bungee cords. I do have two containers full of tools, recovery stuff, and basic survival gear that gets loaded prior to off road trips, as well as trips over Donner summit.