Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > New Member Check-In
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

New Member Check-In

Mid-Travel 3.5TT

This is a discussion on Mid-Travel 3.5TT within the New Member Check-In forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Originally Posted by 2014RubyRed So, how's the FRF experience so far? lol I personally think that your build is pretty ...

User Tag List

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by 2014RubyRed View Post
So, how's the FRF experience so far? lol

I personally think that your build is pretty cool. I like that someone is doing some real world testing of the new TTV6 that will inevitably be in the Gen 2 Raptors. I have to commend your installation of fiberglass fenders WITHOUT the Raptor vents. Another clone is boring, but your truck looks to be something a little different and pretty capable to go off road.

At least someone like you will be able to understand what the new V6 will be capable of handling and be able to overcome the shortfalls. Keep up the testing. I for one will be following your thread to see what the new Gen 2 will need to keep up with the proven and tested Gen 1's.

Thick skin and the ability to handle the bullshit is a requirement on this forum regardless if you own a Raptor or not.....

Lol, thanks.

I haven't been too active in this forum (other than the classifieds), but now that it is getting closer to the release of the second gen trucks I'll be much more active here.

There's hate for the Eco no matter where you go. It's just an easy target, lol.

I definitely did not want to build a clone. What I wanted wasn't offered, so I tailored the truck to meet my expectations. The second gen will definitely be more capable, and the 10-speed should be a nice upgrade. I can't wait to start playing with one.

Pinero61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by idleone View Post
cool story bro

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436386043.870293.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  22.0 KB
Old 07-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Madcowranch View Post
What motor you got in that thing?

Gallo 24. The Gallo 34 was just too much.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Mentioned: 1100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

13raptorcrew likes this.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the site!

customtruckshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Pinero61 View Post
Regardless, it's being discontinued along with the rest of the world's pushrod dinosaurs, so it doesn't really matter.
I'm sure a 23 year old computer technician knows everything there is to know about motors and engines but to me it feels like 1989 all over again. Been hearing that same marketing hype since back then.

New GM V-8 Proves Pushrods Still Rock | Vehicles & Technology content from WardsAuto
RLTW likes this.
Truckzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Truckzor View Post
I'm sure a 23 year old computer technician knows everything there is to know about motors and engines but to me it feels like 1989 all over again. Been hearing that same marketing hype since back then.

New GM V-8 Proves Pushrods Still Rock | Vehicles & Technology content from WardsAuto

I have a heavy mechanical background, but work with electronics professionally. I now work as the Cheif Electrician aboard a semi-sub drilling vessel off the coast of Rio De Jenero, and have five years experience in the electro-mechanical professionally. Before that, I grew up in a family of gear heads around my fathers mech/body shop. I've been turning wrenches since I was old enough to hold them. Granted, I still lack the years of experience of some of the keyboard mechanics on here.

That said, over head cam engines continue to make more power per liter, turn up more, and are more fuel efficient than their pushrod counterparts. Dodge's Hemi and the LS/LT 6.2L engines either do not or barely make as much power as ford's 5.0 overhead cam engine. Another great advantage to these engines are the ability to manipulate valve timing on both the intake and exhaust separately. This provides great tuning advantages.

I still have love for the old pushrods, though. I've built a few growing up while helping out around the shop and/or my own projects. Hell, my first truck was an '86 Chevy step side that I spent over a year restoring and modifying. They're just not cutting it anymore...
Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Pinero61 View Post
I have a heavy mechanical background, but work with electronics professionally. I now work as the Cheif Electrician aboard a semi-sub drilling vessel off the coast of Rio De Jenero, and have five years experience in the electro-mechanical professionally. Before that, I grew up in a family of gear heads around my fathers mech/body shop. I've been turning wrenches since I was old enough to hold them. Granted, I still lack the years of experience of some of the keyboard mechanics on here.

That said, over head cam engines continue to make more power per liter, turn up more, and are more fuel efficient than their pushrod counterparts. Dodge's Hemi and the LS/LT 6.2L engines either do not or barely make as much power as ford's 5.0 overhead cam engine. Another great advantage to these engines are the ability to manipulate valve timing on both the intake and exhaust separately. This provides great tuning advantages.

I still have love for the old pushrods, though. I've built a few growing up while helping out around the shop and/or my own projects. Hell, my first truck was an '86 Chevy step side that I spent over a year restoring and modifying. They're just not cutting it anymore...
That's a cute resume. You're an electrician who used to change oil in his dad's garage and now you know more about engine dynamics than General Motors, huh?

Your generalizations about OHV vs. OHC are based on "per liter" measurements. But who cares about that besides the marketing department? Can you name some engines that can produce 460hp more efficiently than the new LT1?

Fact: OHC engines are larger, heavier, and much more top heavy than their OHV counterparts.

Fact: the most powerful cars in the world are powered by OHV engines.

I have nothing against OHC engines. I have one. Did it escape you that the 6.2 is a SOHC? So I'm not even sure how pushrods came into the discussion in a Ford forum since Ford moved away from them a long time ago, but I couldn't resist the chance to point out your ignorance.
Idleone likes this.
Truckzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Haha, good one. No, I do not claim to know more than General Motors, or be a mechanical expert. Simply mechanically competent is the point that I'm trying to get across. I'm still young, and have much to learn.

Now, let's put a little boost to that GM 6.2, and see how long those high compression hypereutetic pistons last. DOHC engines with variable valve timing (Ford 5.0) can over lap the intake and exhaust valves to reduce the effective compression ratio. This allows these engines to survive at higher boost levels without expensive engine builds. Granted, once you pass the threshold of needing a built engine, these will be more expensive to build. To a certain power levels, each engine has its advantage.

As far as the 6.2 being a pushrod engine, you are correct it is not. Thank you for correcting me. Still though, SOHC and DOHC are different beasts when VVT is introduced.
Truckzor likes this.