First Timer: Soon to be my first Ford.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZeusMutation

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm never really sure what to put in Forum introductions... Do they get read very often??

Anyway... I'm here because I've decided to by a 2017 Raptor. I feel it's kinda premature to join this forum without actually owning the vehicle. However, if it's as helpful as the jeep forums I've used in the past... it'll be a valuable tool come order day.

I'm an old salty dog from Southern California. I want nothing more than to get away from people. lol

I have many questions about the Raptor & Ford trucks, but I'll use the search button first.

Great to be here, can't wait to dive into all this available information!

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. You'll have to wait a bit longer for a '17... even longer if you don't want to get ripped off with ADP on the new model.

What do you like about the 2017 that made you want to buy it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

ZeusMutation

Reaction score
Let me apologize to begin with... I'm a long winded thinker. lol

I'm currently on my 2nd Toyota Tundra and I just sold my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I really like aspects of my Toyota, mostly its reliability & resale value, but that's where my Toyota love ends.

My Jeep was abused, it was still awesome, but the wifey was sick of it. We looked into getting a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Decided it's not practical.

My problems with my current 2014 Tundra 1794 edition... its really a road truck. Those who know Toyota understand they don't offer many options. In order to satisfy my wifey's needs we had to go for the top o line, because they stopped offering certain features on the lower models. Which I've come to realize means on-road comfort and debatable off-road ability. Plus we opted for the crew cab, love the rear sliding window. It's big & comfy. Not sure I want crew size rear seats again though.

So, with that... I looked at buying a 4Runner TRD Pro, the new Tacoma TRD Off-Road (TRD Pro not available to 2016 Tacoma yet), or a TRD Pro Tundra. I felt the Tundra was old technology, the tacoma was pretty Rad, but it felt gutless after owning V8's plus wifey doesn't dig it. The 4Runner, I just don't like the inside at all... plus... I have a purpose (In my mind at least) as to how I want to use my truck.

What draws me towards the Ford... Hard to say. I look at what I assume is a serious redesign utilizing the best tech of today. Maybe I'm projecting that... now that I've typed it.

I really want to escape people. I want to go camping as far away as my vehicle will take me. I want to hit trails and go places a normal truck might not get to. We wanted safety, reliability, and something to traverse snow days and rain storms with relative ease.

If the 2017 is based of the new redesigns of the F-150, plus offload improvements. Sounds like a great platform to start my all purpose expedition desires.

But the real reason I'm guessing... once I got my wife into trucks, she doesn't want to drive in anything else.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Let me apologize to begin with... I'm a long winded thinker. lol

I'm currently on my 2nd Toyota Tundra and I just sold my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I really like aspects of my Toyota, mostly its reliability & resale value, but that's where my Toyota love ends.

My Jeep was abused, it was still awesome, but the wifey was sick of it. We looked into getting a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Decided it's not practical.

My problems with my current 2014 Tundra 1794 edition... its really a road truck. Those who know Toyota understand they don't offer many options. In order to satisfy my wifey's needs we had to go for the top o line, because they stopped offering certain features on the lower models. Which I've come to realize means on-road comfort and debatable off-road ability. Plus we opted for the crew cab, love the rear sliding window. It's big & comfy. Not sure I want crew size rear seats again though.

So, with that... I looked at buying a 4Runner TRD Pro, the new Tacoma TRD Off-Road (TRD Pro not available to 2016 Tacoma yet), or a TRD Pro Tundra. I felt the Tundra was old technology, the tacoma was pretty Rad, but it felt gutless after owning V8's plus wifey doesn't dig it. The 4Runner, I just don't like the inside at all... plus... I have a purpose (In my mind at least) as to how I want to use my truck.

What draws me towards the Ford... Hard to say. I look at what I assume is a serious redesign utilizing the best tech of today. Maybe I'm projecting that... now that I've typed it.

I really want to escape people. I want to go camping as far away as my vehicle will take me. I want to hit trails and go places a normal truck might not get to. We wanted safety, reliability, and something to traverse snow days and rain storms with relative ease.

If the 2017 is based of the new redesigns of the F-150, plus offload improvements. Sounds like a great platform to start my all purpose expedition desires.

But the real reason I'm guessing... once I got my wife into trucks, she doesn't want to drive in anything else.

There are threads here discussing the Gen2 Raptor that will come out next year. Most Gen1 owners are not too thrilled with the new Raptor though.

Your wife will not be all that thrilled with the Gen2 not having a V8 that is for sure. The Gen2 Raptor will have EcoBoost V6 and that is something the wifey will not appreciate.

Toyota's are OK if you want long-term reliability but not really that much fun off-road. Taco's and Jeep's have their use on some trails but really can't compete with the Raptor. It looks like you have already discovered this though.

Have you looked at picking up a 2014 Raptor? Just saw a nice Ruby Red Raptor on Facebook that is practically new. It will hold its value longer and be far more unique than the 2017+.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Or... give us a shout and we can hook up your current Tundra with some suspension upgrades