First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8492079949_a2742dcf59.jpg
Untitled by txfight00, on Flickr

After picking my truck up last night and driving it today, here's some first impressions from a new owner - maybe some on the fence will find it useful:

Exterior/Interior

- Looks like nothing else on the road. The styling just makes you wanna DRIVE
- The metal running boards are sturdy. And shin height. And hurt like a ************ when you bang into them.
- Stock fox settings have got to go. Mid-perch soon
- This truck will not fit into my garage. It's about 6 in too long :naughty:
I think a SCab would probably fit fine.
- The stock exhaust tips are located in a horrible place if you offroad alot. I would suggest maybe a turndown exhaust or possibly lightning style.
- Initially I was going to wrap the whole truck including fenders. But I kinda like the contrast of the fenders, so now I'm torn.
- The HID lights are nice
- Definitely needs deep tint - front windows and windshield.
- The clear border on the tail lights will look better after this:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f170/diy-painted-edges-taillights-15407/
^^ thanks MrGreen33
- The blue ford oval will look much better in black
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f43/**winter-special**-black-ford-tailgate-ovals-**group-buy**-20102/
- If you have a kid who is just about tailgate height, IMO a tailgate assist is a must. That thing is heavy and comes down pretty hard.
- The grill is a deeper gray than it appears in pictures. May or may not plastidip it as I was initially planning.
- Stock wheel/tire setup is actually pretty nice and compliment the truck. Definitely going to go aftermarket once these wear down, but will stick with 17" wheels.

- I was +/- on the blue interior, but now that I see it in person, I'm glad I have it. The aluminum inside is nice, and the seat accents are more subtle than I thought they were going to be.
- The audio system is not great, but you can play basically anything you want through the USBs and other inputs.
- Syncing with my iphone 5 was painless
- Not sure how much I'm going to use the moonroof, but what the hell.
- The front cam is nice and unique. Especially helpful when parking close, but only works in 4L. Unless you get this, which will let you use front cam at any time:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f202/nav-tv-front-camera-vim-bypass-20965/
- There is a LOT of space in the back seat. I got this truck partly because of a new baby on the way, and there will be plenty of room.
- The upright angle of the non-adjustable back seats may be uncomfortable for passengers on long trips.
- I didn't expect the stock floor mats to be rubber, but that was a nice surprise.
- Controlling the AC/fan/etc from the touch screen is a nightmare. The pushbutton controls are infinitely easier to use, esp while driving.
- The contoured seats are really comfortable.
- The middle console is huge and quite deep. Could use a divider or two.
- Power folding mirrors, for me, are a must. I use them almost everywhere I park, and definitely for the garage.

On the road:
- Has plenty of power stock. Doesn't mean more is not better.....
- This truck is fast off the line compared to other trucks I've driven, and you can be going 80 and above without even knowing it.
- There is a significant amount of lag when you get on the throttle. A decent tune and CAI should fix that. And the tune will remove the 100mph limiter :rockit:
- Stock exhaust note is great, volume is low.
- The steering is actually tighter than I thought it would be for a truck this size.
- It is fun to go over speed bumps in this truck. Will be even more fun to go over boulders.
- Decent brakes.
- Auto trans shifting points are good for everyday driving and economy but a tune would be better.
- It is hard to find parking spaces that the raptor will fit into comfortably. I'll be walking into stores, etc much farther than I used to.
- It is comical to watch the little MPG gauge on the dash. I actually laugh out loud when I'm coasting and it says 30mpg and then feather the gas and it goes down to 4. I'm convinced Ford put that on there just for :dancingpoop: and :happy107:

That's it for now.
Overall, to sum it up best - the truck is a beast and the envy of most others on the road. So happy in my purchase and find myself itching to get out and start her up again.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would rather use the voice command on the temp rather then the screen. but for the most part it's set on auto at 72 don't have to touch a thing.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice review! A few thoughts:

-Tuning. Don't let me dissuade you, but before you mess with the tune I suggest you play with and learn what Off Road Mode is all about. The truck reeeallly wakes up both in terms of the throttle response and shift points in ORM. Maybe spend some time driving with it (perfectly safe to do on the road), before switching up the tune. If nothing else, knowing what the truck can do in stock ORM form will help you appreciate the tune (5 Star, right?) even more.

PS: A CAI won't help power much or at all. Get it because you like the way it looks and/or sounds. Not for (the lack of) performance gains. Also, keep in mind if you do off road a lot, how an open element filter might be a disadvantage over the enclosed and baffled OEM box (water intrusion for one!)

-Exhaust tips in the exact wrong spot? Yuuuup. Many of us got busy with a hacksaw and solved that problem right quick:
delete.jpg
Here's a thread full of discussion on the topic: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f160/ford-raptor-exhaust-modification-not-what-youd-expect-5369/

Again, nice writeup and congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Txfight00

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. Hadn't even thought to just cut off the stuff that doesn't make sense. Hmmmm.....

Will def try ORM as well to see what that's all about. May drive around like that all the time, unless you have to put it in ORM every time you get in and start the truck - which may be annoying even though it is one button.

CAI - yeah I agree with minimal if any gains. I had one on a '99 Cobra I had and liked the shhhhuuup sound when you mash the pedal

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah its a button press every time unfortunately.

Make sure you read up on that supplement that should have come with your Owner's Manual for the Raptor. There should be a really nice spread sheet type fold out chart that will explain what the truck is capable of depending on the different buttons you press and for how long.