Deciding which Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hossy

Reaction score
Hi all - new to Raptor forums, however not new to car forums. As a regular member at many other car forums over the last 15 years, I knew to come here for some advice as I am narrowing down my Raptor choice. I recently sold a car to open up a bay in my toy garage - and wanted a fun truck that also could get the odd job done. Mileage doesn’t really matter too much aside from the increased service cost, but I’m also generally used to sports cars and exotics, so a bit of maintenance doesn’t scare me - but I believe in being well-educated on each model.

I debated about getting a Gen2 Raptor - but prefer the value from buying a used Gen1 Raptor (ideally with the basic mods already done that I would want to do myself - even better with things like a winch, bumpers, lights, etc). I don’t intend to drive the truck that much outside of short trips in the city, and the occasional drive to and from the lake (maybe 10x/year, towing something maybe 1x/year). So likely only going to put 3k-4K miles per year on it maximum.

I’ve looked at a number of trucks, mostly loaded 2011-2013 6.2L SCREW variants (with tailgate step, sunroof, Bluetooth/nav, stowable bed extender, and any color BUT red or black; all minimum requirements). I am currently trying to decide whether or not I should buy a Roush supercharged with some miles (saw a couple int he 120-140k range), or start with a relatively clean one with fewer miles (70-90k) for the same price. I’ve read through a number of the threads here, along with the classifieds section on what is for sale, but still not finding a ton of info for this conundrum.

Any thoughts on whether I should stay away from the Roush ones? Better to go basic with fewer miles and mod myself? Anyone on the fence about selling theirs and want to chat?

Last edited:

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love the idea of a Rough, but with those miles, I'd be concerned with longevity. NA 6.2 runs well and very reliable.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a mint 2013 SuperCrew ox White loaded with beadlocks/graphics. 56,000 Miles
Where are you located?
I’m in dfw!

OP
OP
Hossy

Hossy

Reaction score
Love the idea of a Rough, but with those miles, I'd be concerned with longevity. NA 6.2 runs well and very reliable.

I would imagine I’m good for about 50-60k mi on a supercharger- but were most of these done from factory or as ads-ons later? They seem rarely done after new.

I have a mint 2013 SuperCrew ox White loaded with beadlocks/graphics. 56,000 Miles
Where are you located?
I’m in dfw!

My interest is likely to be highly dependent upon your price. Feel free to PM me pics and info.

OP
OP
Hossy

Hossy

Reaction score
Decided! Ended up with a 2011 SCREW with a few minor mods and 70k miles. Figured I’d start relatively cleanly and mod from there! Will be reading more on what mods to do next.

Attachments

• 0CE6EA04-AF7D-4597-B641-26147ED2600B.jpg
    0CE6EA04-AF7D-4597-B641-26147ED2600B.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 14
  • AC6D1511-6501-4B42-AA22-918BD51E714C.jpeg
    AC6D1511-6501-4B42-AA22-918BD51E714C.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 14
  • E44D366E-33EA-46A3-B238-24C8D1CBB92D.jpeg
    E44D366E-33EA-46A3-B238-24C8D1CBB92D.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 13

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - new to Raptor forums, however not new to car forums. As a regular member at many other car forums over the last 15 years, I knew to come here for some advice as I am narrowing down my Raptor choice. I recently sold a car to open up a bay in my toy garage - and wanted a fun truck that also could get the odd job done. Mileage doesn’t really matter too much aside from the increased service cost, but I’m also generally used to sports cars and exotics, so a bit of maintenance doesn’t scare me - but I believe in being well-educated on each model.

I debated about getting a Gen2 Raptor - but prefer the value from buying a used Gen1 Raptor (ideally with the basic mods already done that I would want to do myself - even better with things like a winch, bumpers, lights, etc). I don’t intend to drive the truck that much outside of short trips in the city, and the occasional drive to and from the lake (maybe 10x/year, towing something maybe 1x/year). So likely only going to put 3k-4K miles per year on it maximum.

I’ve looked at a number of trucks, mostly loaded 2011-2013 6.2L SCREW variants (with tailgate step, sunroof, Bluetooth/nav, stowable bed extender, and any color BUT red or black; all minimum requirements). I am currently trying to decide whether or not I should buy a Roush supercharged with some miles (saw a couple int he 120-140k range), or start with a relatively clean one with fewer miles (70-90k) for the same price. I’ve read through a number of the threads here, along with the classifieds section on what is for sale, but still not finding a ton of info for this conundrum.

Any thoughts on whether I should stay away from the Roush ones? Better to go basic with fewer miles and mod myself? Anyone on the fence about selling theirs and want to chat?

I just picked up a loaded Roush that just turned 100K for $33. I was on the fence about the miles but this thing is so clean it looks like it was well maintained so I'm hoping I made the right decision and this thing lasts a long time. I love it so far the power is insane.