Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area > Regional > Southwest
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Southwest

Southwest Roadtrip

This is a discussion on Southwest Roadtrip within the Southwest forums, part of the Regional category!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Southwest Roadtrip
In the midst of planning an inaugural trip with the truck through the whole southwest and wanted to see if anyone had any good recommendations on trails that stuck out to them along the route? I'm basically cruising the majority of the southwest over a 2 week span starting the 18th of dec and have no firm plans outside making some stops at national parks– screenshot added as an attachment.

Also if you live around some of those areas, I'm down to meet up and shoot (this is a photography trip, and def wouldn't mind getting some raptors running around infront of some rad scenery)
Attached Thumbnails
screen-shot-2017-12-04-6.16.19-am.jpg  

onnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

How did your trip go? Any good pictures? Curious about where you went and what you saw. The good and the bad.

I am planning on attending a ROC trip this July and want to tour around and see the area. I will be coming from central New York and want to see a different part of the country.
Mike175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Mike175 View Post
How did your trip go? Any good pictures? Curious about where you went and what you saw. The good and the bad.

I am planning on attending a ROC trip this July and want to tour around and see the area. I will be coming from central New York and want to see a different part of the country.

Yea it was really good. I basically did a loop from LA -> Sedona -> Grand Canyon -> Moab -> back. Very simplified version with lots of stop inbetween, but that was the gist of it. I was trying to do too much too quickly, so while i tried to hammer around to random dirt roads and explore, alot of it was just getting from a to b. Its also a long story, but basically my low beam headlights went out after wiring up some LEDs in Sedona, so I couldn't drive at night.. yea, fun stuff. And I was on a pretty short timetable to start with... so I would recommend giving yourself plenty of time. Lots of lessons learned though ha.

Apparently there's some great offroading around Moab in the Canyonlands national park, but I didn't spend too much time there. I just went exploring around some random areas and a couple back roads, and since it was my first time getting off road with the truck, I was stoked even if it wasn't any extreme off-roading... gettin it sideways a bit was plenty of fun for me.

But ya, I realize thats all pretty vague, but if you have any more specific questions I'd be stoked to help. I got a bunch more pics of the truck around but this is the only one I got on me.
Attached Thumbnails
jon09749.jpg  
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

No headlights in the short winter days would have put a damper on your plans for sure. I would be interested in the long story. Maybe make a post over in the "past expeditions" section with lots of pictures and lessons learned.

Any specific parks or trails you hit? Any interesting things you stopped and saw along the way?

I plan on going from NY to CO. Spending a couple days there doing the Alpine loop and touring around. Then heading to Nevada via Route 50 "The Loneliest Highway" for a ROC run for a couple days. Then heading back East. Seeing Zion then going to Bryce via Skutumpah Road. Then to Monument valley through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument/Glen Canyon on the Burr trail. Cruising through Monument Valley-Valley of the Gods-Moki Dugway-Natural Bridges up to Moab and Arches. Was looking at the portions of the White Rim trail in Moab or any other suggestions I can find along the way. Tour Arches then probably head back to NY.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Lot of trails in AZ, tons of open public land. But, most have trees and brush making them a bit narrow for the width of a Raptor. I try to always bring a long handle bush trimmer, (like 2 ft handles) and a pair of leather gloves as basically all desert plants have thorns. In a trail I might have to stop and trim 10 times. But I also have a lot of desert pin stripes (AKA scratches).

Also, you really want to offroad with a buddy around here. Lots of washes and changing trails. Last year we got on truck stuck and luckily we had 5 others on the trip with us so we had plenty of help. Also bring lots of water. Bring a gallon per day per person and assume you will be stuck for 2 days because running out of water here is really bad for you.

Last edited by AZEngineer; 02-12-2018 at 10:25 AM.
AZEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Good info for sure. As the Southwest, especially in July is completely different than what I am accustomed to.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

bfr
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by AZEngineer View Post
Also bring lots of water. Bring a gallon per day per person and assume you will be stuck for 2 days because running out of water here is really bad for you.
Great advice. More is better. When we are in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. we often strap a 5 gallon Igloo team beverage cooler in the bed. Occasionally add some water but usually just get bags of ice at gas stations and keep adding. Coming back after a hot dry dusty bike ride to ice cold water is a godsend.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Mike175 View Post
No headlights in the short winter days would have put a damper on your plans for sure. I would be interested in the long story. Maybe make a post over in the "past expeditions" section with lots of pictures and lessons learned.

Any specific parks or trails you hit? Any interesting things you stopped and saw along the way?

I plan on going from NY to CO. Spending a couple days there doing the Alpine loop and touring around. Then heading to Nevada via Route 50 "The Loneliest Highway" for a ROC run for a couple days. Then heading back East. Seeing Zion then going to Bryce via Skutumpah Road. Then to Monument valley through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument/Glen Canyon on the Burr trail. Cruising through Monument Valley-Valley of the Gods-Moki Dugway-Natural Bridges up to Moab and Arches. Was looking at the portions of the White Rim trail in Moab or any other suggestions I can find along the way. Tour Arches then probably head back to NY.
yea Ill for sure have to head over there and do a write up about it. Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan going– I didn't do nearly enough homework going into it. I didn't push it too hard or do tons with the truck either– it was more of a photo trip first and a truck romp second... still some good learning lessons though. Monument valley, valley of the gods, arches, cannyonlands and zion are all places I'd recommend in that area. I went to natural bridges and honestly wasn't impressed– I have the year pass for national parks so I had no issue pulling in and pulling right back out. Grand staircase escalante is cool too. Not car related, but try to get in on the lottery to hike the wave. There were 200 ppl who applied for a days permit and i got one of the 10.. and definitely worth it even if it's a long shot.

And yea, my headlights stopped working on the winter solstice– its really pretty standard for my luck, but worth a laugh. I think winning that lottery was getting paid back for that ha.