Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area > Regional > Southwest
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Southwest

Arizona Trails

This is a discussion on Arizona Trails within the Southwest forums, part of the Regional category!
This thread is more lonely and desolate than most of my excursions lol. If anyone is actually reading it and ...

User Tag List

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #31 (permalink)

gruntled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
This thread is more lonely and desolate than most of my excursions lol.

If anyone is actually reading it and is familiar with the dirt roads around the Grand Canyon I'd love to hear your input. I'm trying to get to the edges that are only accessible via 4WD where there's no one around, in order to get to seldom seen epic views. These are the places I see from the plane as I fly over. This is the area West of Tuba I'm focusing in:

If you go to google maps and zoom in you will see that there are several access points to the edge of the canyon, but past experience tells me that many are either too rough or where they end up isn't optimal, so any feedback by anyone who's taken this on is appreciated.
BenBB likes this.

2015 Z/28
soulsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:13 AM   #32 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I’m not living close but looks like you’re having a ball. Keep posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soulsea likes this.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

gruntled

(Thread Starter)
Rainy day in the SW today, which makes the desert a different kind of beautiful.

Wanted to take a break from lengthy off roading so we took the twistsies from Camp Verde to Winslow (heaven for a sports car) and stopped by Meteor Crater on the way back.

I was going to try and get to Meteor Crater the back way from the South by taking 69 off of 87 ... but after less than a hundred yards it became obvious that the first part of this road is extremely poor and uncomfortable with giant embedded rocks everywhere, and as I was with mrs soulsea I decided that it wasn't worth the complaining and turned back onto 87. :)

2015 Z/28
Old 06-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #34 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Damn, Im envious! I wish I had the time (& gas money) to do these trips day after day. Looks like you are really having fun in the northern Az wilderness. Keep us posted.
soulsea likes this.

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most"
Otis857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #35 (permalink)

gruntled

(Thread Starter)
Another amazing day.

I decided to go back to the area where I was a few days ago when I got myself into the wrong roads Arizona Trails. Found the correct way today and it was sooooo worth it, despite the fact that the roads are a pita with washboard ruts all over the place.

As beautiful as the pics in that post, and at the end of it, this:

Words nor pics can describe ... I sat there in silent awe for half an hour taking it all in. It's just such a special place.

I even saw a massive grey/black wolf as I was driving.

This is the way.

hammer73 and Raptor1988 like this.

2015 Z/28
Old 06-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #36 (permalink)

gruntled

(Thread Starter)
I thought I missed my picture of the wolf but it turns out it was in my live shot.

hammer73 likes this.

2015 Z/28
Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

gruntled

(Thread Starter)
So today I went ahead and finally did Casner Pass with a rented RZR XP900.
Wanted to do it with a quad first to see if it’s a road the Raptor could potentially handle.

TLDR, the answer is probably but barely, and not only because of the terrain and road width but also because you better have either a tow hook or recovery kit to get the several dead tree trunks that might have fallen on the road out of the way. Today for example that would have been the case two times.

If you decide to brave it then I recommend you do it from the top down, as opposed to the way I did it today which is coming up from the valley. (I did it as a loop, if you’re going up then back down the same way then disregard). First of all the views will be more enjoyable as you’ll be pointing in the correct direction for that, but also it will avoid you having to put the truck through some truly gnarly and perilous uphill climbing situations. This is because there are some huge rock obstacles on the way up these hills, some of them movable some of them immovable … with the quad I can pick a line through all that, with the Raptor there is only one line. Some of the switchbacks towards the bottom may require more than one maneuver. Most importantly, if you decide to do this, know that it will be extremely slow going and that you would be putting your truck through hell. One last thing … there are gates on both ends of this road. You have to get a permit from the forest service to get through them with anything wider than 48” (I think). There’s a small opening at the gates where quads can get through.

My advice is this for Raptor owners who are in the Sedona/Flagstaff area: I absolutely recommend this trail. It is epically beautiful and tons of fun to drive it. But spare yourself and your truck and rent a quad to do it with. At least do it that way first so that you know what you’d be getting yourself into. You could even rent a 2dr Jeep, get the permit, and try it, although at that point the quad is easier and more fun.

The route I took today … like I said I did is as a loop through the Coconino forest after getting through the pass. Google doesn’t show the connecting section because it thinks there’s no road there. The north gate its about mid way where the map shows no road.

A few pics … sorry I don’t have any more but my iPhone X main camera decided to give up the ghost yesterday, so I had to use the screen side camera the opposite way trying to capture stuff. I had to delete most of them because I couldn’t see what I was shooting.

Red Rock formations to the NW seldom seen:

Some of the trail sections:

My mug after getting through the north gate:

One last thing … pics do not do this trail justice. If you’re thinking about it go to youtube and watch as many videos as you can to get a better sense of it.

2015 Z/28
Old 06-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #38 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
This thread is more lonely and desolate than most of my excursions lol.
Negative, I wish everybody did and put the effort into it you do. The descriptions, maps and pictures are awesome. Much appreciated.

Rainy day in the SW today, which makes the desert a different kind of beautiful.
And nothing like the smell of fresh rain on the desert, I'm partial to the creosote; when it rains, damn.

As beautiful as the pics in that post, and at the end of it, this:
Might be a good place for a "Dead End" sign??!? There's a huge canyon (Dog Canyon) nearby with similar forest (ok semi-forest) roads leading to massive dropoffs...had a nightmare or two about flying off of those.

As an aside, the scenery here is close in composition but can't quite compare to what you have there...
Attached Thumbnails
20180505_120532.jpg  
soulsea and Heeblet like this.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #39 (permalink)

gruntled

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Ben.

I think that might be it for this trip as far as posting info from new adventures as I'm only in Sedona for another week and I'm not sure I'll have time for further major excursions ... although I am trying to clear one day to do the Grand Canyon rim trip I posted about about earlier and that I've been itching to do.
Heeblet likes this.

2015 Z/28
Old 06-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #40 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing. I will have to try these trails out. Me and my brother have been venturing around southern Arizona looking for some trails. We've done a few but nothing that compares to what you've seen. Beautiful man. May I ask, is your raptor wrapped matte black? Very nice shots.
soulsea likes this.
Raptor1988 is offline   Reply With Quote