Need help, Nav/entertainment system is loosing power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some help. My Navigation/Entertainment systems keeps loosing power. In other words it completely shuts off as if there is a loose or corroded connection somewhere but I have no idea where to look first. I have a NavTV module installed also so I don't know if it could be the connections/cannon plugs that connect the module to the Entertainment system. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions on where to look (locations of the plugs that control the system)? I was even thinking that the ground wire may be loose also but once again I have no idea where to look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is it completely shutting down instantly or does it "power down to preserve battery"

OP
OP
D

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a complete system shut off as if it isn't connected to power at all. Today, for example, I hit a small bump and the whole system went black for a while. I hit another small bump later on and it came back on.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds very similar to mine. Except that mine will often start the power down sequence before it goes completely blank. Vibration def causes it to come in and out. It has gone completely out and sometimes starts the power down sequence and then just goes blank. It didn't do it for a while and then at havoc it did it for an entire run through the course.

This issue arose before I ever had any problems with the truck. I did have nav tv installed. I assumed it was a dead short in the dash because I could smack the dash or hit the kick panel and it would come back. Dealer blamed it on the nav tv and said my scotch locks were also causing issues. When I got the truck back I reinstalled everything and properly soldered and hear shrunk all connections. It was perfectly fine until at havoc. After our first lap I opened the kick panel and unplugged the nav-tv and plugged it back in. Wiggled some wires to see if it would go out. Didn't do it after that.

OP
OP
D

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is going to be the first thing I do. I am going to disconnect and reconnect the Nav/Tv. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this trouble with or without the Nav/Tv unit and see how they fixed it. I already know if I take it to the dealership that they will blame it on the Nav/Tv so I want to see if I can get it done without taking it to the dealership. If I must, I will remove the Nav/Tv and see if it does it without the unit installed.

I have done the same thing as you, I have hit the dash above the screen and it came back on so I am almost certain that it is in the dash area.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I spoke with Noah about it when it first arose but he hadn't heard of it happening before. The first time it happened I unplugged nav tv and drove around and it still did it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not related though. I didn't disconnect the splice into the front camera. Could be as simple as a wire making contact with metal in the dash.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may need to revert back to oem to verify that it isnt the unit. if the problem still persists, then i would take it to the dealer while the unit is out. it could be in the screen itself. i have seen screens go out in vehicles before. let me know what you find out

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in this. I too have NAV-TV, anyone figure it out?

While I don't notice it go out, it does seem like it resets every so often - I have 911 assist disabled and the reminder disabled and yet sometimes when I get in the truck I'll get the reminder 911 assist is disabled/not active like when it was brand new.
The other issue is the GPS breadcrumbs, I turn them on, but when I turn off the truck and turn it back on the breadcrumbs are gone. My 2012 keeps the breadcrumbs even after I turn the truck off. This is nice for offroad as I could use those to find my way back out, but now I have to use my memory/hand held GPS....(the 12 doesn't have NAV-TV).

Noah on disconnecting the NAV-TV is it just a matter of disconnecting the box and that 'should' do it as a test?
I am trying to remember the wires I soldered, I don't think anything was jumpered/shorted/opened to make this tie in work....

TIA

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far all i have done is get the main Nav/TV box and unplug and replug it in and it hasn't happened again (so far). i dont know if the connections just end up vibrating loose or what but I am going to keep an eye on it for a while longer. I really dont want to have to completely uninstall the unit just to find out.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you disconnect it the screen wont turn on. there are a few sets of wires that need to be reconnected. the nav tv module interrupts 4 wires in the oem screen so unplugging them will require you to use a short wire to reconnect them