Lug nut broke off???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So today I brought my truck down to have the wheels balanced and rotated. As soon as they started working on it they snapped a lug nut in half. These are the spined ones which I bought on ebay. The cheapest ones I could find, and now I know why.

I drilled 3 holes in what remains of the nut. I'm not sure why this thing doesn't just fall off. It's really starting to **** me off. I've tried the sockets that they sell to remove striped lug nuts but it's in too deep.

Any thoughts? Help!

EDIT:

Solution:

1. Use a deep wall impact socket to slide over the wheel stud (14mm). Now, use a 5 lb. hammer to strike the socket/lug nut one time, firmly. This should free it up somewhat.

2. Use a stripped nut removal socket to remove the lug nut. You may need to use heat to get the socket to bite into the nut. Do not use air tools (I managed to mangle the lug nut severely with an impact gun).

3. If the last 2 steps didn't work, try to cut the lug nut in half using a small carbide grinding bit. Cutting the nut on opposite sides and using a tiny cold chisel to crack the nut. Be careful, these tend to "jump around", use a firm grip.

4. If all else fails, grab the impact hammer and drive the stud thru the nut and out the back of the hub. be careful, the vacuum line is at 12 O clock and you don't want to damage that.

Wheel stud replacement:

Front: OEM FoMoCo part # W710985-S439 (appr $35)
Dorman part #610-542.1 (appr $15)
Rear: OEM FoMoCo part # YL3Z1107AB (appr $12)
Dorman part # 610-442.1 (appr $12)

Brake caliper assembly bolt torque 184 lb-ft

Always use quality lug nuts and apply anti-seize to the wheel studs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just coming up with this idea but, could you heat them up and try to break them. Maybe some heat would loosen them up a little bit?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the downside to the splined nuts. The thin wall doesn't leave much when they start rust.
@BigBlue had this problem and got it off somehow.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Use an old deep socket that fits freely over the stud and smack it with a big hammer (not a small hammer and many hits; a big hammer once or twice)
After that a drift punch at a light angle and drive it off.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Use an old deep socket that fits freely over the stud and smack it with a big hammer (not a small hammer and many hits; a big hammer once or twice)

You should add that the other 5 lugs should be put back on before attempting to drift lmao

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the downside to the splined nuts. The thin wall doesn't leave much when they start rust.
@BigBlue had this problem and got it off somehow.
These were bought last summer and most of them have rusted bad. You can see the piece I'm holding has rust in the section which broke. The tire place was shocked

Just coming up with this idea but, could you heat them up and try to break them. Maybe some heat would loosen them up a little bit?
I was think of freezing them some how, but at this point I'll try anything. Trying not to damage the aluminum wheels.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not surprised at the rust, my $80 gorilla lugs are starting to rust too. I'm gonna change them before they break

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks!! Drive to a tire shop and they probably have a way of doing it.

From now on use some anti-seize on the threads!

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'll put some PB blaster on it over night and attack it in the am. "Drift punch at a light angle"?

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Damn, that sucks!! Drive to a tire shop and they probably have a way of doing it.

From now on use some anti-seize on the threads!

I was told to use anti- seize by a friend... He's going to be laughing his ass off when I tell him what happened.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll put some PB blaster on it over night and attack it in the am. "Drift punch at a light angle"?

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I was told to use anti- seize by a friend... He's going to be laughing his ass off when I tell him what happened.

Typo! 'Slight Angle' so the remaining part of the nut turns ccw

And yes, lubrication assists in preventing rust; I use a copper based anti-seize on the studs and all seating surfaces and spry the inside of the lug nuts with MPHD

But that works only if you do it prior to installation :)