Integrated Trailer Brake Control Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am glad the BIRD started this section and I am glad to have FSM around. So here goes my problem.

A week ago we took the 4 wheelers on the trailer behind the Raptor down to Enid, MS to ride in the lake bottoms. Well I took the Raptor to the shop, picked up the trailer and come back home. Loaded up Sunday morning and drove down (no problems).

When we get ready to come home, the instrument cluster says Trailer Wiring Fault. I thought some retard that was with me stepped on the cord. I stopped on the on ramp on I-55 and checked it, everything is fine. Hmmmmmmmm, get in truck still says that. I said **** IT and drove on. I was goin down the road and my buddy said "do you smell that". I then smelled the smell, I looked back and saw a cloud of dust/smoke. I just thought it was dust off the wheelers at first, no it was the trailer brakes. It was not grabbing enough to lock up or drag the truck, but enough to grab and burn and stink.

Well I unpluged it, got back in the truck and the instrument still said Trailer Wiring Fault. I had to cycle thru the screen until it cleared.

The next day I hooked the trailer up to my F-250 with the intergrated brake control and it worked just fine, so I know it is not in the trailer. I talked to the parts man at my dealer and he said that one other F-150 came in there with the same problem. What do ya think FSM, anyone else have had this problem?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a tough one Batman. My first impression as I read your story was that there was definitely a concern in the trailer wiring on the trailer until you stated that it worked fine on another truck. I assume you are using the large 7-pin connector on both trucks since you said the trailer brakes are being used. I would start by using a trailer simulator (small device made by several companies that plugs into your recepticle and lights according to what is being used.....they are not very expensive and pay for themselves in a hurry) on both trucks and see what type of result you get. Only thing that comes to mind is a possible short to B+ in the truck wiring to the recepticle causing voltage to be supplied to the trailer brakes. When the message center displays "trailer wiring fault" keep in mind that it does not know where the plug is, "trailer wiring" includes everything from the trailer brake controller module to the trailer.

Keep me posted, as I will be interested to see what you find.

FSM

OP
OP
Batman

Batman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for postin up on this FSM, I have not worked on it. I am almost up to my first oil change, I am goin to let the dealer check it out. I will let you know what they say.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Thank you for postin up on this FSM, I have not worked on it. I am almost up to my first oil change, I am goin to let the dealer check it out. I will let you know what they say.

I got my first 'trailer wiring problem' message yesterday at 12,000 miles. I've never hooked up a trailer - so I'm wondering if it's a short or sensor over-reacting...
I'll get into the dealer Thursday and check it out.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
yeah i was just thinking to wail on all the harnesses with wd-40 once in a while maybe when you change your oil.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
yeah i was just thinking to wail on all the harnesses with wd-40 once in a while maybe when you change your oil.

THROW AWAY THAT CAN OF WD40!!!

That shit is water based, and causes more harm than good on any surface! Use Liquid Wrench or a similar oil based spray on product - WD40 creates rust!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
THROW AWAY THAT CAN OF WD40!!!

That shit is water based, and causes more harm than good on any surface! Use Liquid Wrench or a similar oil based spray on product - WD40 creates rust!

wd-40 does not contain water. water displacement formula 40? it's a lubricant so i see what you're saying it's not a penetrating oil but it won't cause rust and will displace moisture.