External Air Temperature Sensor Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hungerforraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this issue...

Most of the time while I'm stopped for a minute or more, on my Nav screen the external air temperature starts to climb. It does this on a daily basis, but not every time that I am stopped. It did this today when actual outside air temp was 10 degrees, displayed climbed to 80 degrees and the AC kicked on. But when I start to drive again, it goes back down and the heat comes back on.

I am thinking that it may be a result of the location of the sensor and some how it is being affected by the heat coming off the engine.

What I want to know is where is the sensor located? And could I be right about my guess. BTW I have a 2011 Screw with 300 miles on it.

The truck is still under warranty so I will take it back to my dealer to have them check out what's going on. I am hoping to have my question answered as I won't get to the dealer for a few days.

Thanks for you input.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
it went from 10* to 80*??? no way has mine every swayed more than 5* or so.

OP
OP
hungerforraptor

hungerforraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it went from 10* to 80*??? no way has mine every swayed more than 5* or so.

Yeah it did, No kidding. I was sitting there and all of a sudden the cabin air blower kicked on high and I looked at the Nav screen and it said EXT 80, looked down at controls and the AC light was on, and it was blowing cold air at me. It does this fairly often, usually climbs to the mid to upper 70s.

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score
Mine has done the same thing. When I was driving thru Utah and it was 10 out, after getting gas it registered a balmy 70 or so. Having just frozen my ass off while pumping gas in blowing snow, I was pretty sure it was off a degree or two.

I think the sensor is located in front of the radiator, and when stopped it gets heat off the rad.

I did not have any experience wherein it changed the climate settings though.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Ford usually mounts them behind the grill and ahead of the radiator. Should be a probe about the size of a toggle switch. It should have a heat shield between it and the radiator.

A10fxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didn't notice the temp reading, but noticed the A/C was lit up the other day when i climded in after using the auto start on a cold day. I typically always use auto. I will have to pay closer attention now.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
My AC light has also come on every once in a while during winter for some strange reason.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
If anything, mine drops in temp a bit after driving for a while......still not by 70 degrees though. I'd deff. take it into the dealer.