6R80 Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popupgizmos

Reaction score
Hello,

Have been researching this forum...about to make a decision on purchasing a new F150. Have owned 7 ford p/u's, switched to Dodge in '02 and got the Hemi version in '05. Coming back to Fords but have minor curiosity about reported issue with the 6R80...sudden downshifts to 1st while at highway speed, leaks issues, lurching. Probably a lot if Internet urban legend. Just a wondering about you opinion on this trans in the 2011 models. Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Pitney
www.telegizmos.com

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^ x2.

I haven't heard of any leaking issues with the modern (Raptor) 6R80. However the downshift and lurching issues are real. But fortunately they've been addressed by Ford with a software flash. And from what I've read people are really happy with the fix.

Tank posted up info on the TSBs just a bit ago: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?3551-5.4L-engine-trans-and-controls-TSB

PS: Regarding linking to a sales related site... if its your business and/or you make money from any sales related to it, please don't link it. We have supporting vendors who pay for that privilege (if you're interested in becoming one, by all means shoot me a PM!). On the other hand if you're sharing a link because you found a good deal or are sharing info, but are otherwise unrelated to the sales/money making side, by all means post it up. The more the better!

Basically, all we're asking is that you don't take for free what our SVs pay for. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

popupgizmos

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback on the trans. About my link...that's what I do...manufacture telescope covers. Not exactly Ford or truck stuff but I completely understand spam issues. I've got a network of dealers around the world that sell 'em for us so for sure I wasn't wanting to spam the group. I've deleted it from my profile so it shouldn't show up anymore. Tomorrow is the big day to make the purchase. But I should say it's not a Raptor, just an F150. But I do like this forum from what I've read so I'll keep reading but be easy going on posting.

And thanks for the welcome.

Regards,

Bob Pitney

OP
OP
P

popupgizmos

Reaction score
One more question then...don't know the pro date on the truck I plan on purchasing...maybe that matters with regard to it having the most recent flash. Wondering if I should request the dealer flash the trans with the most current updates before delivery or just go with it...see what happens. I tow a lot...ski boat, RV trailer, horse trailer. Unexpected downshifts at highway speed could be tricky.

Thanks again guys...your help is appreciated. BTW, my last two trucks have been Dodges and I have to confess both were good 100K trucks. Still would have the last one if it hadn't been stolen two weeks ago. And while I like the Hemi power...the new 390 horse/407torque model is near scary fast...the 5.0 360 horse/380 torque is plenty powerful enough. The deal closer for me to come back to Ford is the F 150 is just better looking body wise and interior wise. The new Dodges are not up to the same level...IMHO...and of course that's what matters since I'll be makng the payments :>).

Ah, but I digress.

Cheers,

Bob Pitney

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One more question then...don't know the pro date on the truck I plan on purchasing...maybe that matters with regard to it having the most recent flash. Wondering if I should request the dealer flash the trans with the most current updates before delivery or just go with it...see what happens. I tow a lot...ski boat, RV trailer, horse trailer. Unexpected downshifts at highway speed could be tricky.

Welcome Bob.

You're gonna break your truck in putting some miles on it before you tow (right?) so you can drive it first and see if there are any issues. If there are you can see the dealer and request they service it. Dealers are told by mfrs not to respond to owners requesting TSBs be done - owners need to go to the service dept and tell them what the problem is and let them diagnose and check for TSBs.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I heard about the latest flash for my ECU/PCM I went directly there and said flash it with the latest provision. I didn't say there was an issue, I said I needed that done. They did?

As far as the transmission, I absolutely cannot stand the shift schedules and patterns, but I think that is just how it is. I don't think there is a problem so to speak. I do not nor have ever noticed sudden downshifts, and I have towed before, (approx ~5250lbs. w/ approx ~800lbs in the bed). I just don't care for the 6speed without selection other than by way of sensors between 4-6. You can manually select 1,2, 3, or your in D/OD. I understand how to control the pedal/throttle to try to select gears, but it's pretty touchy on a Drive By Wire system with 3 gears to select through in that mode.

The Offroad/Tow mode is pretty nice though, as is the integrated trailer brakes.

my .02 cents, FFS

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sure... there have been complaints about minor shifting issues. But unexpectedly downshifting into FIRST GEAR at FREEWAY SPEEDS?? No way. The engine would grenade if that happened just once.

The most serious complaint has been a delayed downshift at speeds above 40 mph but that was fixed and only affected the early 5.4

I have not heard of any issues at all with the 2011 trans... but there's always going to be somebody that's unhappy. I think you would be very happy with a 2011 6.2