Roush cold air intake, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO any perceived benefits from a "CAI" is not worth the potential downside which includes but is not limited to:

* Worse performance (even if it sounds better or "seat of the pants" tells you it's gained 15HP)

* Water/dust/dirt ingestion

* Warranty issues

Save your money and spend it on something else

ModFreaksRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As i understand it Roush is less of an off-road intake system than Volant due to a completely open filter. Both great quality. Volant wins for the off-road catagory!! Correct me if im wrong...

My buddy who also owns a raptor told me that for those in a desert environment, a closed box aftermarket filter would be better because the open box ones get dirty very quickly. Any thoughts?

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the k&n cai and just ordered a pre-filter sock for it from them not sure how extreme off roading you are doing but I think this could be a decent set up, just my .02¢

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are expecting big gains in power or mpgs from any CAI, prepare yourself for disappointment. Having said that, I voted Roush CAI. The fit and installation show quality and alignment with Ford. Yes, I'm a brand *****.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 165
D

Deleted member 12951

My buddy who also owns a raptor told me that for those in a desert environment, a closed box aftermarket filter would be better because the open box ones get dirty very quickly. Any thoughts?

I just have stock. My stock filter had less than 2k miles on it and before TRR it was as clean as a whistle. After TRR, I ended up changing it.

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
They aren't completely enclosed. They are like the stock intake...

Just a joke skyscraper.

In all seriousness though, all air boxes are open to some extent thus are subject to water, dust, dirt bugs, mud etc... The only advantage (that I know of) to having a "closed box" is to keep hot air (from the engine) from entering the intake.

I have a closed box S&B and you would be surprised how much dirt ends up at the bottom of the intake box.

If you get an open box, I would suggest getting one that seals against the hood so that water from the hood vent doesn't leak onto your filter (I think one of the manufactures had an issue with this at one point).

If you get a high flow cotton filter, I would suggest getting a wrap for it as many mentioned here for off-roading. I actually use the wrap 100% of the time as it keeps large items like bugs from getting stuck in my filter.