Would a Raptor make it in Alaska Offroad Warriors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been watching this show on History channel called Alaska Offroad Warriors, There are 2 Toy 4 runners, Jeep Wrangler, Landrover 90 and a Landcrusier. As I watched each episode I wondered how well our trucks would handle this race. I wonder what upgrades would be needed to tackle this race. Anyone else watch it, pretty good show and some of the terrain was crazy. I won't spoil it by telling you who won in case you haven't seen it all.

http://youtu.be/QRqqd4UnvdQ

Last edited:

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sure as hell wouldnt take a Raptor out there. Some things just seemed crazy. All there trucks had some decent off road gear. And that mud was intense in some parts.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I've been watching it too. I know the show is rigged, just like all of these are, but a Raptor would NOT be the choice. Jeep or Land Cruiser is the way to go.

However, I've been talking with my wife, and sometime in the future, we're going to road trip to Alaska. I want to drive as far north as possible. I've seen a post or two from a few guys that have done it, and I'm intrigued.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The raptors weight would have been the kiss of death, so many miles of mud bogs, they were winching with a land anchor almost on a daily basis.

Definitely wouldn't want to do it in a super crew, either.

Maybe the new raptor would do better with its "mud terrain selector technology"' lol

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
That's a little overkill IMO, unless you're trying to do it in winter.

I'd probably pick a nice Jeep, Land Cruiser, or even a well built Bronco. Big motor, 4.56's or higher, 40-44" tires w/ beadlocks to get down low on air, locking diffs/t-case, good recovery gear/winch, etc.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the big issue was the mud and the permafrost that got them stuck. The "War Wagon" with 37" mud boggers did the best, but i think bigger tires and airing down really low would help a lot, and i agree on the gearing, i'd go 4.88s or 5.10s and agree on the tire sizes, 44s'...which all sounds like the Hilux i posted. :)

But regardless of if the show was rigged or not, would be a really cool challenge to compete in.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Hell yeah.

However, War Wagon did do the best, but a short wheel base, large tire truck would have handled everything else better IMO. The Hilux doesn't have much in terms of wheel travel, which would pose an issue on the rocky/hill sections.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hell yeah.

However, War Wagon did do the best, but a short wheel base, large tire truck would have handled everything else better IMO. The Hilux doesn't have much in terms of wheel travel, which would pose an issue on the rocky/hill sections.

Wheel travel is a good point, and those aretic trucks don't seem to have much.

I think the 4runner that the brother and sister had was pretty well equipped, i think they just drove slow and not very competitive.

Straight axel conversion in the front, nice articulation, looked like 37s...

But a nicely built Jeep unlimited on 40's....hmmmm

Super Jeep was a junkyard on wheels. And don't get me started on the brothers in the 4runner with the IFS and 4 banger.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Here you go...42, Hemi...just make sure it has the right gearing...i think this would do great.

http://www.jk-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21985&d=1239285319

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Yeah, that Jeep was garbage and that 4-banger 4Runner was junk as well.

Boom, there it is! That Jeep is sick!