Worst storm ever recorded starts tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
With many states being hit with this horrible storm, how are you preparing your trucks? Missouri is being classified as a blizzard from Feb. 1 6am to Feb. 2 6am. Thats a long blizzard! Since I still have to go in to work I have been getting a few things together.

I bought a waterproof box and filled it with the following:
2 30' towstraps
6 road flares
Tools (pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, etc.)
Wire
Duct tape
Lighter
LED flashlight
Hot hands hand warmers
Emergency trauma kit
Oil rags
Zip ties
Extra fuses
Bungee straps
And extra jacket, blanket, hats, gloves, etc.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Lol you gettin all setup!
Given it's a blizzard and you probably won't have many issues going to where you need to be - you may get sidetracked into helping someone else out of a stuck. I would throw in a spade or short shovel.
- Clevis (shackles) in different sizes are very useful to help attach the strap to vehicles that don't come with tow-hooks. Sometimes you have to get creative in order to avoid removing body parts from the vehicle you're helping...
- Strap with a hook can be useful too when there's absolutely no hold for a clevis. I towed my landlords daughters Mercedes out of the trees on our driveway by wrapping the strap around the lower A arm and hooking it to a safe place on the frame to reduce stress.
- Consider a 10' strap - as sometimes you don't have room to travel 30'.

I've pulled lots of people out of relatively simple places - it's always a good feeling when their "hopeless expression" turns to one of gratitude for saving them a $100+ tow truck bill.

OP
OP
whtrapta

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
There is supposed to be 2 inches of snow an hour though. so snowplows cant keep up with that. Plus I live 25 miles from my town to the edge of the city where I work. Only thing in between is hills, turns, and farms.

trolls56

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2 inches of snow an hour is nothing. I'm on the northern part of this storm and it isn't that bad. Out in the middle of no where in South Dakota the train had a worth time busting drifts then my Raptor did on the drive home. When I was walking my train doing an air brake test it was the wind that was bad not the snow.

nodak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 inches of snow an hour is nothing. I'm on the northern part of this storm and it isn't that bad. Out in the middle of no where in South Dakota the train had a worth time busting drifts then my Raptor did on the drive home. When I was walking my train doing an air brake test it was the wind that was bad not the snow.

sounds fun! i was back home in ND for x-mas after moving out to so cal for a year and it was c c c c cold!! wind chill i a BITCH!

trolls56

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sounds fun! i was back home in ND for x-mas after moving out to so cal for a year and it was c c c c cold!! wind chill i a BITCH!

Yeah try walking a 111 car grain train. 7000 feet long and the wind chill was -22.

nodak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUCH! well a good work out i guess. btw some of that grain may have came from my place so thanx i guess. lol. i got a video emailed to me of a train with a plow on the front busting thru some monster drifts somewhere around fargo. looked pretty crazy, just a big wall white shooting in the air.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Damn, looks like I'll be feeding cattle with the tractor the next few days. And cutting ice. Well, this is when I earn my keep...