Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]

Working on some paddle shifters.

This is a discussion on Working on some paddle shifters. within the Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
I have always been disappointed that the GEN 1 didn't ever come with any paddle shifters. Coming from my M3 ...

User Tag List

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Working on some paddle shifters.
I have always been disappointed that the GEN 1 didn't ever come with any paddle shifters. Coming from my M3 with paddle shifters, a high performance offroad vehicle such as this should have something better than a switch on the shifter.
So I decided to work up a few ideas and enlisted a buddy from work to help model up a very early concept. Shown below.

Still have some more details to work out but its a start.
Hope to print up a prototype soon to see whats works best in the truck.
Will also be ordering a multitude of varying switches to find the best switch that provides a good tactile feel.
End goal is 2 paddles. One on each side, with the left controlling the down shift and the right controlling the upshift. Also, paddles that are not intrusive but provide easy engagement with hands anywhere near the 3 and 9 positions.

Stay tuned!

Bonus pic:

Page 2 Update:

Small update. Just messing with the design of the paddle to spice it up a little.
Took a few ideas from one of new raptors paddles shifters and will work from that. (Shown below)
Also just stuck the model on a generic steering wheel to get an idea of what it would look like.
Next plan is to laser scan a 3d model of an actual steering wheel to get a much more accurate representation of the install and figure out the ergonomics.

paddleshifterwithnewdesign1.jpg

paddleshifterwithnewdesignonsteeringwheel.jpg

2017-ford-f-150-raptor-paddle-shifter-details-1-.jpg

Last edited by M3toSVT; 10-25-2016 at 04:23 PM.
M3toSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

aka Rick

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)

SDHQ offered these for the GEN1 but not sure if they still do or not. I heard that they didn't sell but they were around $1200

2014 RR SE SCREW | #792 of #3396 in RR | #4568 of #22409 Total | My Mods: Click Here
2008 Shelby Mustang GT500 Torch Red Convertible | #58 of #463 in Torch Red | #249 of #2070 Total
Raptor Runs: TRR 14'/15'/16'/17' | Raptoberfest 14'/15'/16' | Time Attack 14' | Snoball 15' | AR Run 15' | TRR Baja 16' | Private Baja Jan 17'
RDFTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by RDFTS View Post
SDHQ offered these for the GEN1 but not sure if they still do or not. I heard that they didn't sell but they were around $1200
Yea, I saw them. Cant seem to find them anymore. That and I wasn't going to pay $1200 for them.
Probably why they disappeared. A better price point would have been $500. But they were too complex with the wireless connection to sell for that.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

wife has a 2012 M3. love the control you have with that M class steering wheel. never gave it a thought to have paddle shifters for my truck. awesome idea.
M3toSVT likes this.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Originally Posted by RDFTS View Post
Confirming that they are no longer being offered by SDHQ. I'm pretty sure they were actually made by these guys, though...

http://mastershift.com/index.html

Originally Posted by M3toSVT View Post
Yea, I saw them. Cant seem to find them anymore. That and I wasn't going to pay $1200 for them.
Probably why they disappeared. A better price point would have been $500. But they were too complex with the wireless connection to sell for that.
Have you considered waiting for the Jen 2 parts to see if you can just retro fit? Pretty sure the steering wheels are already on ebay.

Last edited by Truckzor; 10-19-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Truckzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Truckzor View Post
Confirming that they are no longer being offered by SDHQ.

Have you considered waiting for the Jen 2 parts to see if you can just retro fit? Pretty sure the steering wheels are already on ebay.
I have done some research on the GEN 2 but that route looks to need at the very least a whole new steering wheel.
I don't see any on ebay yet. Just some custom ones right now that run $2k.
Would like to get my hands on one sooner or later.
kennyao30 likes this.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

They were the radio frequency paddles being mfgr'd by Mastershift if I recall correctly. Maybe just contact them direct if SDHQ doesn't offer them anymore.

Paddle Shifters, Sequential and Electronic - ASaP

Side note I heard they weren't reviewed very well

CUSTOMWHEELS4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by CUSTOMWHEELS4U View Post
They were the radio frequency paddles being mfgr'd by Mastershift if I recall correctly. Maybe just contact them direct if SDHQ doesn't offer them anymore.

Paddle Shifters, Sequential and Electronic - ASaP

Side note I heard they weren't reviewed very well
I have scoured the multiple threads on the Mastershift paddles from their inception to final product. They were introduced for an introductory price of $999 I believe. Which I thought was still high even if they were wireless.

I plan to have these fully wired which will keep the price down significantly.
Tad more involved for installation but I think I can keep these relatively simple.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Originally Posted by M3toSVT View Post
I have scoured the multiple threads on the Mastershift paddles from their inception to final product. They were introduced for an introductory price of $999 I believe. Which I thought was still high even if they were wireless.

I plan to have these fully wired which will keep the price down significantly.
Tad more involved for installation but I think I can keep these relatively simple.
Noted, wired would be great.

CUSTOMWHEELS4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

The ones from mastershift only worked on the 2011+, assuming yours will be the same, or is there a chance for the 2010s?
Houston Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote