Winter Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upfront: I'm not a Raptor owner...yet, but I wanted to poll the Raptor group about my upcoming road trip since you guys and gals have your **** together when it comes to long hauls.

So here goes, this winter my wife and I will be making the road trip from Chicago to Boston and back, a trip we've made a few times during the summer months.

My question is this: are their certain preparations I should make for a 2400 mile winter road trip. The truck (2011 XLT 4x4 w/ 5.0) will have fresh oil and a good once over before the trip and is on 33" AT3s. My concern is the Ohio/PA stretch can get a little hairy in the winter months and I want to make sure my truck is ready for that.

I've got a lightbar in the front and was thinking about maybe some flush mount duallys in the back with the yellow or red covers so cars behind me could see me better if we get caught in a storm (would only flip them on if necessary).

The truck has proper recovery gear but not enough for a self extraction.

I know it's still sunny and 75 for most people but prepping three months in advance gives me time to buy and setup anything that I don't already have.

Thanks in advance for the input and advice.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a decent snow tire, salt, shovel, straps, food, water, blankets, flares.

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ add a couple gallons of de-icer wiper fluid and maybe a come-along with some chain, but I doubt you'll need self-extraction gear if you stay on the highway or paved roads.

Sounds like fun. Good luck!

OP
OP
N

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll work on getting some of those items in my emergency bed kit. Also got the tip to relocate the spare to inside the bed.

You think the rear facing lights may be a bit overkill?

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, visibility is paramount, especially if you become disabled or stuck on the side of the roadway. If you do it right, the lights will double as reverse lights. Keep some bags of rock salt (Solar salt crystals work fine) for weight in the bed and traction if needed.

ThatGuy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good road atlas will help too because it can funky through ohio and PA and GPS isnt always right. water was mentioned but bring some snacks and food because there is nothing between Akron and State College. A plastic snow shovel, some kitty litter or rock salt. And some good tunes cause there is nothing for radio stations out here either.

Snoopaloop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear facing lights certainly won't hurt but if you go with flush mount lights, you will need to find some Amber or red film to put over the lenses. As far as I know, no one makes snap on covers for flush mount lights. Unless of course you went with baja designs flush mounts which have lense swapping capabilities.

I run cyclones in my 3rd brake light and am happy with them.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in hearing about the lights in white out conditions. (Probably better suited in the lights forum).

I always tend to have problems either seeing the lines or the snow reflection from lights.

Was thinking just amber wrap the light bar and see if it helps.

OP
OP
N

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in hearing about the lights in white out conditions. (Probably better suited in the lights forum).

I always tend to have problems either seeing the lines or the snow reflection from lights.

Was thinking just amber wrap the light bar and see if it helps.

I never thought about adding Amber wrap to my light bar. Might not be the worst idea. What product would you use for the wrap?

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never thought about adding Amber wrap to my light bar. Might not be the worst idea. What product would you use for the wrap?

I'm not entirely sure. There a 3m amber signal light repair tape, which I assume is semi transparent, but only comes in 1.8"x60.