Winter Driving in 4WD High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as your not making slow speed corners on dry pavement you can use 4hi any time you want.

People, we have a dash mounted electronic switch, you can switch in and out of 4x4 in a second. I will run it when on the snow and if I hit a dry cleared road just click the switch.

I agree, don't let it fool you into being invincible. Keep the speeds down on snow! Once I let my speed creep up as I was talking to my GF next me while driving on a snow covered mountain 2 lane road (trees on both sides) while driving a friends truck with total street tires.

Then I look ahead and its a downhill with a left turn coming up. I look at the spedo and I'm going 50. I touch the brakes and its solid ice, the kind that makes you feel as though hitting the brakes actually makes you go faster. Luckily I had time to think about it, I slowly merged over to the left and crossed the center line to get as far to the left as possible and purposely put the truck into a drift, staying as close to the left side of the road as possible. Once I got the truck totally sideways I floored the accelerator to help pull me left and stay on the road and not slide off into the trees on the right. Worked perfectly. Truck stopped facing the opposite direction of when I started. Had to stop for a second after that one. It was close. Studded tires would have been nice in that situation.

--John

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to full stop to engage 4x4. I got no IWE and full locked axles with a atlas . So etter do it in neutral at a standstill . Expensive parts id rather pull over.

rkwjunior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So based on what i've read in this thread, no one knows truthfully if it's ok to drive in 4wdH all day long on roads that are moderately slippery or dry. And if it's ok to take sharp turns while in 4wd in a Raptor and not damage anything.

One bit of info i will consider is to shut off 4wd when taking sharp turns, if the conditions allow. I've practiced this in the past on other 4wd vehicles, when i feel stiffness and hear knocking on the front end, then it's probably bad.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So based on what i've read in this thread, no one knows truthfully if it's ok to drive in 4wdH all day long on roads that are moderately slippery or dry. And if it's ok to take sharp turns while in 4wd in a Raptor and not damage anything.

One bit of info i will consider is to shut off 4wd when taking sharp turns, if the conditions allow. I've practiced this in the past on other 4wd vehicles, when i feel stiffness and hear knocking on the front end, then it's probably bad.

If you go off the posts of people who have had their trucks for a long period of time and not 3-4 months and have used them in snow.

Yes it is safe. You can drive in 4 hi all day everyday dry or wet if you want to. Yes gas mileage will suffer, you'll get arm pump like no other keeping it straight, and some added wear to the front drive shafts but it is perfectly safe.

Raptor has all open diffs.

Transfer case locks the rear drive shaft to the front diff, but the front diff is full open and cannot be locked unless you have an aftermarket diff.

The rear can be locked but only in offroad mode over 25-30 mph i believe, otherwise it unlocks itself. regardless of 4hi or 2wd.

mwakgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is safe. You can drive in 4 hi all day everyday dry or wet if you want to. Yes gas mileage will suffer, you'll get arm pump like no other keeping it straight, and some added wear to the front drive shafts but it is perfectly safe.

Raptor has all open diffs.

True, the Raptor has no locker in the front (I've never liked calling a mechanical LSD "open" but that's not important here) but that isn't the issue.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

Trust your owner's manual over myself or others on here but yes, it can cause damage. The problem is there are too many variables for someone to give you a definitive answer which means anyone that does so is doing you a disservice.

It's going to come down to tires, temperature, road surface etc. If you have too much traction, you can cause damage. Hopefully, if you have that much you're not wanting to be in 4wd in the first place. Your safety and others is more important than some premature wear on parts though.

I drive in the snow a lot and the top thing to keep in mind in my opinion is that 4wd won't help you turn or stop. If you're running highway speeds and losing traction in 2wd trying to accelerate or maintain speed then you're likely going too fast for the conditions and your tires and 4wd isn't going to be the answer. Go easy, don't stomp down two gears to pass someone, get where you're going a few minutes later in one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear can be locked but only in offroad mode over 25-30 mph i believe, otherwise it unlocks itself. regardless of 4hi or 2wd.

You did say I believe, but slight corrections.
1. Rear can be locked in any mode, 2H, 4H, 4L, any combo plus off road, don't have to be in off road mode to engage. When in off road mode though it'll keep the rear locker engaged basically at all times, won't disengage at higher speeds. Raptor Manual See Pg 17 Off Road Mode ELD
2. When not in off road mode Rear locker disengages when above 25 mph, can only be engaged below 20 mph and if disengages due to speed will re-engage automatically once below 20 mph.
2014 Ford Manual - see page 164.

Driving in 4H isn't a problem, yes it'll wear stuff out faster, but unless you know you need it as stated by others it far too often gives people a false sense of control. Just because you can take off okay doesn't mean you'll stop just as well. I've drove many miles in 4H on and off pavement. Last time towing a trailer I was running in 4H for awhile. Initially I was in 2H, but as I was coming up this hill, truck downshifted and kicked the back end out due to too much torque to wheels with ice and snow on road, luckily no one was coming as the trailer pushed me into the other lane after the back end kicked out. Once I got everything straightened back out I engaged 4H. I knew the roads we're slick and was being careful, but definitely didn't plan on the downshift spinning the tires, granted this was with my 3.5L Eco, which with that low end torque one has to be very careful on slick roads...

Last edited:

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snowy in Durango!
4wd if I can't get moving, otherwise I'm in 2wd mostly. Tight turns are tougher in 4wd due to front wheels going further than rear, thus binding driveline between front and rear...since the transfer case is not like an open diff. On straight roadways I'll run 4wd so it doesn't lose the rearend when the truck shifts or engine brakes...that's scary.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You did say I believe, but slight corrections.
1. Rear can be locked in any mode, 2H, 4H, 4L, any combo plus off road, don't have to be in off road mode to engage. When in off road mode though it'll keep the rear locker engaged basically at all times, won't disengage at higher speeds. Raptor Manual See Pg 17 Off Road Mode ELD
2. When not in off road mode Rear locker disengages when above 25 mph, can only be engaged below 20 mph and if disengages due to speed will re-engage automatically once below 20 mph.
2014 Ford Manual - see page 164.

Driving in 4H isn't a problem, yes it'll wear stuff out faster, but unless you know you need it as stated by others it far too often gives people a false sense of control. Just because you can take off okay doesn't mean you'll stop just as well. I've drove many miles in 4H on and off pavement. Last time towing a trailer I was running in 4H for awhile. Initially I was in 2H, but as I was coming up this hill, truck downshifted and kicked the back end out due to too much torque to wheels with ice and snow on road, luckily no one was coming as the trailer pushed me into the other lane after the back end kicked out. Once I got everything straightened back out I engaged 4H. I knew the roads we're slick and was being careful, but definitely didn't plan on the downshift spinning the tires, granted this was with my 3.5L Eco, which with that low end torque one has to be very careful on slick roads...

I was going off memory, thanks for pulling out the manual for specifics on the locker

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a front detroit locker. It was a pain to make it all work but its great when you need it. I would advice if you want to swap the torsen get a 2trac i put one in my buddies raptor and it feels alot smoother in 4x4 and i never complained at it late engagment ect the sort of things that are annoying with electronic lockers

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going off memory, thanks for pulling out the manual for specifics on the locker
No problem, but hey good to read/know the right info when off road and need it vs. having to pull out the manual!

A few weeks back I completely forgot about the rear locker and the buddy I was with said 'it acts like your lockers aren't working' due to spinning out as much as I was, duh, pull the knob!