Why you should feel good about your Raptor Frame!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad company

Reaction score
I am a Mechanical Engineer with a ton of experience designing shock isolation systems, and I own a 2010 Raptor. There are a few threads about the frame bending that happened on the Raptor Run, and talk of a weak point on the Raptor frame. I did an analysis on the stated conditions: 60 MPH, 18" tall "kicker" or dirt "speed bump" as a cause for this failure.

Below is my line of thought:

Ok, I ran some numbers, and they are eye opening.

Assumptions:
The "kicker" or "dirt speed bump" is one Raptor tire diameter accross, and is shaped like two ramps joined together (like a flattened triangle).

Case #1:
Kicker height is 18" (flattened to 12" by your tires)
Truck speed is 60MPH (88 fps)
The bottom of the tire has to move up 12" in .0166 seconds. this is an average speed of 60.24 ft/s
To generate this suspension speed, the truck would have to free fall 56 FEET!!!!! That's an impressive number, but what does it mean?

It means that the truck is recieving an impact equavalent to the first 12" of a 56 FOOT DROP WITH THE SUSPENSION ALREADY HALF COMPRESSED! My best guess is that the suspension acounts for about 6" of that, the tires for maybe another 3-4", the axle for some fraction of an inch, the truck vertical motion for another small fraction of an inch (no time to respond), and the rest? It all goes into deforming the frame by 1"-2".

This also tells me that even if the frame were boxed in that area, or if it was 3 times thicker, it would still bend. Even if the frame was reinfored enough to hold, the next likely point of failure is the axle, which would bend, stranding you.

Case #2:
Kicker Height is 12" (flattened to 9" by the tires)
Truck speed is 45 MPH (66ft/s)
The bottom of the tire has to move up 9" in .0221 seconds, an average speed of 33.94 ft/s vertical.

To generate this suspension speed, the truck would have to free fall about 18 feet! This is a MUCH less severe impact! More importantly, the impact is only 9" long (insert obvious joke here). Additionally the truck may be able to absorb it without requiring metal to deform.

The suspension can absorb 6", the tires their 3", the axle a tiny bit, the truck can move upwards a bit more, and all you probably have is tortured bump stops.

So those of you who have jumped their Raptors (and the most vertical air I've seen is maybe 8-9 feet) and said they don't have bent frames? This is because hitting an 18" kicker at 60MPH is about 7 TIMES as severe. PLUS your suspension is fully extended when you jump, cushioning the fall better, unlike the speed bump example.

Conclusion? If you hit something like a speed bump or "kicker" taller than your available suspension travel, plus tire "squash", at HIGH speed, you will bend metal.

The ONLY way to adress this issue is increase suspension travel to be greator than the intended acceptable "bump". Or god forbid (*sniff), slow down. Reinforcing the frame will either fail to work (bend anyway), or cause something else to fail (like the axle).

Nobody designs trucks to withstand those forces (like the first foot of a 56 foot drop with already compressed suspension), that would be incredibly impractical (and they'd sell one a year at $300k). I do not believe there is a design flaw, I believe that somebody found a situation that exceeds its strength.

I would love to join in the next Raptor Run, jumps are fine, short gullies are fine, just look out for the big kickers when you are burnin' up the dirt!

GRT4DRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to join in the next Raptor Run, jumps are fine, short gullies are fine, just look out for the big kickers when you are burnin' up the dirt!

Very excellent analysis! I hope you get a chance to go on a Run. Definitely something I'd like to do again...

I can tell you from being on the first run, I think only one truck hit a kicker as described in your analysis, and that was early on in the run (before the double down). And I not even sure if his frame was bent after that.

If one were to hit one of these described kickers, wouldn't the damage be concentrated and dissipated through the front end? I mean, just hitting a big kicker that abruptly would somewhat slow the momentum and deflect the truck violently upward...

I'm no engineer though, so please be gentle....

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hit a small kicker at the end of day 2 which bent mine... The front end soaked it right up, but it sent the rear end skyward after bottoming out!

Most people will NEVER have to worry about this issue, I think the long duration and heat stress on the shocks also attributed to it, as others have speculated.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
modular frame

I do not believe there is a design flaw,

Rather than a design flaw, the main problem is misapplication of the stock F150 frame. The modular frame (front, middle, and rear sections) is constructed of the best steel available and the factory welds are near perfect; but they are welds.

From the pictures BlueSVT posted, the frames are broken at the middle-to-rear section joints; giving the Raptors a dumptruck profile. How that happened driving over a huge bump escapes my comprehension.

FoMoCo might want to consider fabricating the two main frame rails from, on an SCrew, 18 foot long blanks. It'd be a full redesign, but the durability would be unmatched in the industry.

OP
OP
Bad company

Bad company

Reaction score
Rather than a design flaw, the main problem is misapplication of the stock F150 frame. The modular frame (front, middle, and rear sections) is constructed of the best steel available and the factory welds are near perfect; but they are welds.

From the pictures BlueSVT posted, the frames are broken at the middle-to-rear section joints; giving the Raptors a dumptruck profile. How that happened driving over a huge bump escapes my comprehension.

FoMoCo might want to consider fabricating the two main frame rails from, on an SCrew, 18 foot long blanks. It'd be a full redesign, but the durability would be unmatched in the industry.

Debate,
The loads applied to the frame from the axle are astronomical in this condition. I highly doubt that the supercrew frame would fare much better. Best case you bend/break the axle instead of the frame.

Bottom line is you can't hit a bump taller than your available suspension at high speed and not break something.

OP
OP
Bad company

Bad company

Reaction score
Very excellent analysis! I hope you get a chance to go on a Run. Definitely something I'd like to do again...

I can tell you from being on the first run, I think only one truck hit a kicker as described in your analysis, and that was early on in the run (before the double down). And I not even sure if his frame was bent after that.

If one were to hit one of these described kickers, wouldn't the damage be concentrated and dissipated through the front end? I mean, just hitting a big kicker that abruptly would somewhat slow the momentum and deflect the truck violently upward...

I'm no engineer though, so please be gentle....

GRT4DRT,
It did seem that a few different guys are claiming that the kickers were the root cause.

There are tons of variables at play, unless the impact at the front slowed the truck down, the impact at the rear would be equal (assuming a level truck etc.), unless the rear tires were able to compress the kicker further. Apparently the front end is a little more robust, or damage there isn't as apparent. It's hard to say anything specific without more information.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double boxed frame

Debate,
The loads applied to the frame from the axle are astronomical in this condition. I highly doubt that the supercrew frame would fare much better.

True, the SCrews have modular frames like the SCabs. Neither is suitable for the SVT Raptor program.

Try this shape:

Open hands and extend fingers. Bend flattened hands back and bring wrists together. Curl fingers into two fists. Push knuckles against a wall.

That shape, fabricated in an uninterrupted length, seems better than the single box modular frame; there's no welded structural joint. Might even be less expensive to construct than the modular frame.

OP
OP
Bad company

Bad company

Reaction score
For the case in point:

12" high compacted bump
6" of remaining suspension travel
3" of tire compression

The only way to avoid a crash in your suspension (DAMAGE) is to move the frame rails up 3" druing the bump rise.

So you need to move half the truck ~3,000# UP 3" in .0166 seconds. The most efficient way is with an even force, therefore acceleration would be constant.

x = 1/2 * a * t^2

x = .25 (corrected)

t = .0166

a = 21773 ft/s^2

so... acceleration required is 56g

Force required by the suspension to move the truck enough to not crash the frame into the axle? 170,000 pounds or force (was 2M, my unit conversion fail).

Still, Good luck with a stronger frame.

Last edited: