This is why spacers are a bad idea. (And lots of cv axle innards pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really see how adjusting the perch setting would affect the rebound or compression rate of the shock. All you're really doing is adjusting the ride height. On the mid/top settings spring rate remains identical with an identical weight on the shock/spring, valving is still the same, the only difference would be that at a static position the shock has more compression travel and less rebound travel, but the rate at which it moved up or down should be the same. I know with bikes and sleds when you adjust spring height all you're looking for is the proper sag/ride height, I could easily be missing something but I would think the same would apply to our trucks.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't really see how adjusting the perch setting would affect the rebound or compression rate of the shock. All you're really doing is adjusting the ride height. On the mid/top settings spring rate remains identical with an identical weight on the shock/spring, valving is still the same, the only difference would be that at a static position the shock has more compression travel and less rebound travel, but the rate at which it moved up or down should be the same. I know with bikes and sleds when you adjust spring height all you're looking for is the proper sag/ride height, I could easily be missing something but I would think the same would apply to our trucks.

According to Fox the "perch ring" (our term) is actually called by fox as "spring preload ring". By adjusting this "preload ring" up it puts the spring under more compression forcing the lower control arms down. And raising the front end of the truck which in turns puts the cv joint in near binding conditions at rest. Adding jumping, full lock turns with the "preload ring" raised to top notch causes the cv boot to be pinched as nd torn.

I hope this make sense - if you are still with me then maybe this will help you understand that moving up a notch up on the spring perch compresses the spring that much more through its travel. This increases the spring rate which lifts the front of the truck. The shock is still the same overall length when fully extended but with more preload the shock at ride height it is more extended and this means the piston is a little further from the first bypass hole, thus making the dampening a bit softer. Not to confuse things but the internal bypass holes are still bypassing at the same rate as when the spring rate was softer.

-Greg

Last edited:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to Fox the "perch ring" (our term) is actually called by fox as "spring preload ring". By adjusting this "preload ring" up it puts the spring under more compression forcing the lower control arms down. And raising the front end of the truck which in turns puts the cv joint in near binding conditions at rest. Adding jumping, full lock turns with the "preload ring" raised to top notch causes the cv boot to be pinched as nd torn.

I hope this make sense - if you are still with me then maybe this will help you understand that moving up a notch up on the spring perch compresses the spring that much more through its travel. This increases the spring rate which lifts the front of the truck. The shock is still the same overall length when fully extended but with more preload the shock at ride height it is more extended and this means the piston is a little further from the first bypass hole, thus making the dampening a bit softer. Not to confuse things but the internal bypass holes are still bypassing at the same rate as when the spring rate was softer.

-Greg

x2

i have fox shocks on my polaris RZR S and its the same thing. when u adjust the springs on the shock body u r changing the pre load

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up and debate.....here is my takeaway (this forum always has a takeaway)!
1. Truck was built for some above grade offloading while looking really good on the street
2. 45-55k is a lot of money
3. If you want to jump and drive like a trophy truck,.....buy one.
4. Some of those "Ford engineers" aren't so bad. The built a great truck for the masses.

You all are great and I learn more from this forum than I could have anywhere else. I do appreciate that.

Rceccanti

Reaction score
Pavement princess

So i have the 2" hockey puck in my front struts, and plan to do a +2 rear shackle for a slight prerunn look, It is my understanding this is not the correct offroad way of doing things but since my black baby is not a offroad abuser, its simply for a look. Ive heard mixed messages about the mid perch no block stance (which i love the look of!) but i see and hear about 4wd Issues. My truck now with the 2"puck has no issues with 4wd. Can anyone give me a little knowlege?
thanks Raptors!

Attachments

• IMG_6865.jpg
    IMG_6865.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6866.jpg
    IMG_6866.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 107