Why did ford put a 6.2 in the raptor instead of the ecoboost engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniperm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was watching some youtube vids.. and saw the torture test on the F-150.. that got me thinking... why did ford put a 6.2 in the raptor..

Is the 6.2 more durable in the desert?

Looks like the ecoboost engine is no joke..

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was this a dumb question....?

No. A lot of people ask this question. When it comes to any type of hard driving whither it be road racing or desert racing, the less shit to go wrong, the better. I would rather have a naturally aspirated vehicle than one with forced induction. Ecoboost is nothing more than turbo's with a new name. It is more shit to go wrong, more shit to build up heat in the engine bay and when it is already hot as shit outside, it will only create more potential issues.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furthermore that motor would see poorer fuel economy than the 6.2 , offroad. Those trucks see something like 6-8 mpg towing.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. A lot of people ask this question. When it comes to any type of hard driving whither it be road racing or desert racing, the less shit to go wrong, the better. I would rather have a naturally aspirated vehicle than one with forced induction. Ecoboost is nothing more than turbo's with a new name. It is more shit to go wrong, more shit to build up heat in the engine bay and when it is already hot as shit outside, it will only create more potential issues.

Also turbos don't seem to be a fan of dusty, dirty conditions.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
then add in the weight, tires and gearing of a Raptor, and your killing any fuel economy the ecoboost might have givin ya too dont forget.

and for me, id rather hear the rumble of a big V-8 over a turbo V-6 anyday!

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't imagine a Big Raptor coming down the Road without a V8 in it, lol.
As it is, my buddies always say, "that's got the 6.2L in it, right!!?.....Damn!". LoL. You can go ahead and tell them it's got a V6, NOT ME! Now a eco V8 would be kewl! We don't have desert around here so I would suffice. Little more maintenance for more horsepower and mileage, and a V8......WIN!