Who has used hill descent control yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My girlfriend lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains and its given me a few chances to use it. Holy crap it puts does big binders to work. The truck basically locks up the brakes and just about brings the truck to a stop and then all you do is control steering and gas inputs. You will hear the truck working the brakes (varying pitch in a grinding sound). I would suggest using this only with other Raptors or new 4Runners (they have a similar system) or by yourself. The truck at less 20 mph goes from moving to about 2 mph in a sec and anyone that is unfamiliar with the Raptor and all its electronics my implant themselves in your bed. For example I have a 80s C/K-10 following me on one of the hill climbs both up and down. The owner knows little to nothing about the Raptor if I had used hill descent he may have rear-ended me with I turned on the system.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never tried using HDC at any "speed" and what you describe sounds dangerous.

I've used it before and it's quite effective and it's interesting to roll slowly down a steep hill without having your foot on the brake pedal.

Here I am using it last week in Anza-Borrego coming down The Slot...

nyotxnr4sa.jpg

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never tried using HDC at any "speed" and what you describe sounds dangerous.

I've used it before and it's quite effective and it's interesting to roll slowly down a steep hill without having your foot on the brake pedal.

Here I am using it last week in Anza-Borrego coming down The Slot...

nyotxnr4sa.jpg

Hill Descent goes to armed at speeds over 20mph and under 40mph and then active at less then 20 mph and brings the truck a stop. I suggest arming and activating the system before you start going down the hill.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've used it several times. Be aware... if the system thinks the brakes are about to overhead (say on a long extended down hill) it will beep about a 1/2second before releasing and letting you free fall. Cover that brake...

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've used it several times. Be aware... if the system thinks the brakes are about to overhead (say on a long extended down hill) it will beep about a 1/2second before releasing and letting you free fall. Cover that brake...

That is not in any of the Raptor manuals I would have remember reading that so I would assume that comes from experience. When I used it I go with the 2 foot method resting my left on the brake and the right working the gas.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
**Sorry that should have read "are about to overheaT"...

Definitely from experience. I was VERY glad that I too use the two foot method. :panic:

Here's a thread I started about it, the first time it happened to me: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthrea...-Mode-quot-time-out-quot-and-disengage-itself

FSM says this is spelled out in the "service manual". Why its not also in the manual and/or supplement that comes with the truck is crazy in my opinion. Its something anyone using this feature needs to know and be VERY aware of.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I suggest arming and activating the system before you start going down the hill."

X2

I've used it and found it a VERY nice feature. The "grinding" you hear is the ABS keeping your steering controllable, which is much better than locking up and not being able to steer at all! I would never activate it at speed though...

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**Sorry that should have read "are about to overheaT"...

Definitely from experience. I was VERY glad that I too use the two foot method. :panic:

Here's a thread I started about it, the first time it happened to me: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthrea...-Mode-quot-time-out-quot-and-disengage-itself

FSM says this is spelled out in the "service manual". Why its not also in the manual and/or supplement that comes with the truck is crazy in my opinion. Its something anyone using this feature needs to know and be VERY aware of.

This is good to know, thanks. Ford really should have shared this with us. But, aside from that it does work pretty well.