When to switch "on the fly"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stop. Shift to neutral. Lock it in. And then I go real old school, I back up a few feet. Then ease into it and go like hell after that.

Taking it out, same thing. Those IWE's are plastic, and although they say 'on the fly' there is no way they engage while moving without clashing with the hub.

But, if you gotta, you gotta. IWE's are cheap.....

OP
OP
SVTLOPEZ

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't thank you guys enough. I was never a fan of switching on the fly too much stress to make all the components sync with one another. Hopefully i get to hang out with you Guys soon. Beers on me lol

Last edited:

Krab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full stop. Even put it in N.
Wait to give it anything hard till you hear its all engaged.
Unless of course you like to replace IWE's more than once a year :)

This.

I too have an engineering background (mechanical, at that) and am uneasy when I have someone engage their 4Hi at speed. Part of me is just waiting to hear parts grenade in the driveline. Even had one of my colleagues do it in his work truck (F-150) and I cringed when I saw him turn that knob at about 40mph...

It's your truck though, do what you wish. Full stop, in neutral for this guy!

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MechE here as well. No issues engaging 4Hi at speed UNLOADED

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

wakko0o

Reaction score
When to switch "on the fly"

The way I do it.
-Completely stop and in neutral when engaging into 4wd low or high, slow take off just incase the gears are caught in between. Then waist more gas I go, foot to the floor board lol j/k
-Disengaging 4wd I just let go of gas at a crushing speed with steering wheel straight. Less strain coming out of a gear then engaging it. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: