Wheel spacers...really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i was approached by a guy that was very excited to see my truck and find out what it was. so as we were talking he asked if it had wheel spacers to get the extra width over stock f150's...i was a little shocked that he thought wheel spacers would be on this truck after looking it over. I told him no it doesnt use spacers for travel and he told me i should put some on for extra if the fenders will allow it. I dont think this to be a very good idea as i beat my truck last weekend in the Barstow run and jumped it a few times.....but i have never done spacers before and i dont think they would stand up to the abuse i put the truck through. Anyone have any insight on this? sounds a little crazy to me.....

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No no no. Our track width is already insanely wide. And anyway, you can't add spacers without affecting articulation angles (spacers wide enough to make a difference anyway).

Bad idea for the Raptor, no matter how you slice it. The guy is a maroon.

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kinda of what i thought too....adding wheel spacers to a purpose built, $50k, offroad truck seems a little dumb to me but i had to ask since i have never ran spacers on anything before.....

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've run spacers before on high performance road race vehicles, but we're talking 3mm or so; just enough to help clear a knuckle or bolt head under hard cornering or some such.

But for looks? I just can't see it, especially on the Raptor who's track is already ridiculously wide. Having said that though, I do know there are good reasons to add substantial spacers to the smaller track vehicles. I'll leave it to the Jeep guys to explain why.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spacers and adapters are two different things. A spacer is not a wise decision, in my opinion, unless it is 1/2" or less and it is used with the appropriate hardware, ie: upgraded heavy duty lug studs.

Now adapters on the other hand are different. The name usually refers to adapting one lug style pattern to another, that is not always the case. Adapters can be used with the same style lug pattern, as a spacer essentially, but they are much sturdier since there is not a much longer lug stud with more leverage and un-sprung weight/force on it. Adapters are used on many different extreme applications without issues. As long as you use high quality components you shouldn't have issues.

I have used 3/8" spacers on a 820+rwhp drag race pickup and used 3/4" and above adapters on other high powered applications without issues.

However on the Raptor, neither is needed nor would look cool IMHO. FFS

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt know there was a difference between the two, good to know though! I've actually seen guys add fiberglass fenders and wheels spacers to give it that long travel look...but completely useless!

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
didnt know there was a difference between the two, good to know though! I've actually seen guys add fiberglass fenders and wheels spacers to give it that long travel look...but completely useless!

I would never run a spacer on one of my prerunner's or on a race truck, but I do have a 1/4 inch spacer on my full size to clear the caliper.
BTW, you ran 400 miles last weekend behind a truck with front and rear spacers, full glass, 37's on stock hubs. The rear has 3 inch hub centric spacers on both sides.

How wide is the Raptor outside tread to outside tread?
The Titan last week is 90 inch's, which is common on a full size truck

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Raptor didnt do too bad last weekend!
im not sure about the width but im going to find out as soon as i get home to my tape measure

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys run them on Jeeps, usually beacuse they want to use the stock wheel with a larger tire (too cheap/poor/whatever to buy wheel with the correct offset/backspacing).

Personally I wouldn't touch them.