What's the Best way to break in a new Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Screw all that. On both my Raptors I've hopped in them and blasted 80-90mph down the highway for 1,000 miles to get it home and it ran like a ***** ape ever since.

Then, I bought other new cars and followed break in routine and they ran like ***** apes, too.

I prefer to drive that bastard like you're gonna drive it and have it learn you!

Amen brother! 80 to 90 mph is really not pulling that many RPM in overdrive anyway! Just tell the trooper you are following your tried and true break-in routine & he will enjoy looking over your new Raptor so much he will forget why he was going to write you a ticket. (or just tell them you are the ADD guy on a mission!)

Dean

Reaction score
As someone mentioned before full rpm range is a must in the break in. That's my opinion, I wouldn't use cruise control or haul things either in that recommended break in distance. To each thier own though.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the break it in how you intend to drive it theory. Mine saw a lot of wide open air miles and an oil change at 500, and 1500 miles. Still runs like a top and I've managed to get some pretty good consistent fuel millage when I try.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
With todays motors though, a break in isn't near as critical as they used to be. Before in cars if you ran it hard the motor would be blown before you can say "oh sh*t". Now whether you break in like a grandma or hard as you can, it doesn't make much of a difference. But..... you will be better off if you break it in how you intend to drive the truck everyday. So if your like me and floor it onto the freeway every time, I would really stress breaking in ALL rpm ranges.

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Screw all that. On both my Raptors I've hopped in them and blasted 80-90mph down the highway for 1,000 miles to get it home and it ran like a ***** ape ever since.

Then, I bought other new cars and followed break in routine and they ran like ***** apes, too.

I prefer to drive that bastard like you're gonna drive it and have it learn you!

So "drive it like you stole it" fits here ?

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With todays motors though, a break in isn't near as critical as they used to be. Before in cars if you ran it hard the motor would be blown before you can say "oh sh*t". Now whether you break in like a grandma or hard as you can, it doesn't make much of a difference. But..... you will be better off if you break it in how you intend to drive the truck everyday. So if your like me and floor it onto the freeway every time, I would really stress breaking in ALL rpm ranges.

Couldn't agree more!

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the thread title and first thing that popped in my head was "Use a brick."

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think it says somewhere to officially break in a Raptor all 4 wheels need to be off the ground to fully cycle the suspension components. To run over a smart car, kia rio, or mini cooper, to fully seat all frame components.. Lol

-Greg

Last edited: