What would you rather buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of at a decision point here...

I have a totally unmodded '12 Ford Raptor Race Red, and I was THINKING about getting some new shoes for it... but now, with that money, I'm thinking I might be better off to have the stock raptor and buy an ATV or Dirt Bike and haul up and go riding on trails or SX parks... I have done neither before, but looking to get into some form of offroading whether it be with my truck or ATV/SX/MX... what would you all do?

Pros of Raptor Mods
-Truck looks even more BA
-Will use the truck daily as daily driver, perhaps more use out of mods
-haters gonna hate lol

Cons of Raptor Mods
-2.5K on new shoes both tire and rims... just for new shoes
-Availability of off-road parks in my area is substantially fewer than SX parks

Pros of ATV/SX/MX
-More ATV/SX/MX Parks and trails to venture to
-Another toy and could STILL offroad my stock raptor
-Mods for ATV/SX/MX potentially cheaper per part than a fullsized truck like the raptor

Cons of ATV/SX/MX
-I'm 26 and have never done SX/MX of any type.
-Truck won't get mods.

Last edited:

MeenieMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote would be ATV/SX/MX. At its simplest level, two toys are better than one. It opens up another entire set of adventures.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you're going mudding you don't need to put new tires on your Raptor to go offloading.

I assume you're not going mudding as a quad probably won't mud very well, right?

OP
OP
K

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I wouldn't be mudding in the rap.. I was only going to put new shoes on it for aesthetic reasons..

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just get the tires you want when you NEED tires next time. Then get the wheels when you have the cash. Unless youre going to change rim size you aren't really spending "extra" other than wheels.

Then get the atv

BUY BOTH

OP
OP
K

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just get the tires you want when you NEED tires next time. Then get the wheels when you have the cash. Unless youre going to change rim size you aren't really spending "extra" other than wheels.

Then get the atv

BUY BOTH

That's what I was thinking anyway.

I'll get the ATV or Bike now, and then when my tires go .. get new tires. and wheel

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mx and sx are way harder than they look. Before you dump 8k on a dirt bike make sure it's something you want to take on as a hobby. You don't learn over night, it will take fuel to get there, they EAT tires which aren't cheap. Oil changes every couple rides, clean the air filter every ride, helmet, boots, pants, gloves, jersey all adding to about $1000 alone.

It takes lots of seat time to take on a real track. Trail riding is baby steps and if you really want it make sure your committed for years as it is a big investment.

Don't look at this negative, this is from someone who loves the sport and has done it for 25 years but I warn you that it's not a cheap sport by any means..

Atv's mud really well. They can be driven by anyone and can go anywhere. Not as much maintenance but little more to buy. Not the thrills of skimming whoops or floating over a double but more relaxed with the boys, just make sure you have someone to go with or you will grow tired of it quickly. Again I've done atvs for 27 years, I got my first atv when I was 3 and still love it but there's something about my raptor I just can't part with.

If your going to do any of these options make sure it's right for you as it will take lots of work and frustration to learn, however the better you get the more fun it is!

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH ANY OF YOUR OPTIONS.

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to make your truck look badass, get 1 1/2" spacers and go mid perch.

the widened stance will be much more aggressive and you'll get the look you're wanting for less than $200

I vote for a DIRTBIKE or MOTARD.

**** atv's