What order of mods for desert running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys,

I need some advice here. We want to start playing in the desert more (Live in Las Vegas) with our 2013 scab. The truck is stock from a mechanical standpoint except for a Doug's exhaust cutout.

Reliability is the first concern followed by suspension. I don't feel a real need for more power at this point.

Can you experienced desert guys tell me what the critical mods are first and foremost please. I assume skid plates (I tore an oil pan off the bottom of a V8 in my old Landcruiser when I was in high school) but not sure what else. Also please let me know who you suggest for quality parts.

Thanks!

Bill

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
1. Rear frame support
2. Safety equipment / recovery gear
(Do 1 and 2 at the same time)
3. Lighting
I'll think of more

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First and foremost frame reinforcement (bump stop kit I would go with RPG... )... Off road recovery gear (fire extinguisher).. Radios, GPS system, Spare tires, First aid kit, off road training by experienced qualified personnel.... Then go like hell and have fun..

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To run her hard, here's my opinion on what you want/need:
  • Middle Perch
  • Aftermarket exhaust or exhaust modification to get rid of your tail pipes. MBRP turndown is pretty inexpensive and sounds good too.
  • New front bumper to increase landing and approach angle. RPG, SVC, SDHQ, Saints Offroad, WSI, etc... they're all good, pick the one you like. You may as well sell the stock bumper and skid plate before you destroy them and they're still worth something.
  • Rear Bump Frame Kit - RPG or SVC.
  • Additional lighting if you plan on running at night.

BABaracus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The obvious offroad safety/recovery gear and as far as mods I like the following.

1. Mid-perch (free)
2. Bumpstops (peace of mind because those oh crap moments happen)
3. Deavers! (Whole different world both off and on road)

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After the above mentioned, look into new shocks - Fox, Icon, King 3.0 front coilovers and rear bypass. Upgraded tie rods are also a good idea. Maybe a cold air intake.