What the heck does Off Road Mode do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cubdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have been through my owners manual and cant find any info on the Off Road Mode. When I push Off Road Mode button it feels like someone has hooked up an 8000# trailer to my hitch. With the snow in Alaska I need all the power to get through it I can get, is this just another "Big Brother" thing to keep me from hurting myself????

Love the truck but geez with the RSC, ESC, TCS on its like driving around with my mom and my attorney all the time.

Thanks,
Hank

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does flips and shit. Push it!

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Hank, ORM primarily changes shift-mapping. It allows you to hold gear longer when offroad. For example, when you come up to an obstacle offroad and have to let off the gas, ORM is designed to hold gear so that when you go back to power you don't lug and are in a better part of the powerband. One of our Ford Techs will chime in with a more concise explanation

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I have been through my owners manual and cant find any info on the Off Road Mode. When I push Off Road Mode button it feels like someone has hooked up an 8000# trailer to my hitch. With the snow in Alaska I need all the power to get through it I can get, is this just another "Big Brother" thing to keep me from hurting myself????

Love the truck but geez with the RSC, ESC, TCS on its like driving around with my mom and my attorney all the time.

Thanks,
Hank

I feel the same damn way!!! All they computers limiting me can go :flipthebird:

I have used offroad just enough to know if you really need power dont use it. It almost got me stuck twice due to no balls to get me through. Once in sand once in mud and instantly pissed off to boot. The only advantage to it is the locker stays locked in at all speeds. Traction control won't come on either after so many MPH. I usually run with everything off and in tow/haul mode.... Meaning I want to haul ass and get down the road so i dont have to get my ass towed out.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, ORM, engaging your rear electronic locking diff (pull the 4wd shift knob), and fully disengage traction control (hold traction control button till blinking) all go hand in hand by design. I also prefer shifting manually offroad

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might feel slower because off road mode does a few things including changing the ratio that the throttle body opens up according to your foot. Its a linear taper in off road mode. Ford does it to help take off in sand so you don't just dig and for overall controllability. It also widens your shift points, so the transmission holds in gear longer, this is so if you need to let off the throttle for a corner or whatever the truck wont up shift. This way the truck doesn't need to downshift to get back into the power. The off road mode also desensitizes the air bags and changes the ABS system to better stop on dirt.

With that said I think off road mode sucks, I hardly ever use it. The linear throttle tapper holds the truck back imo. You can produce the same throttle control with practice by feathering the throttle when needed. The transmission shifting is better but its way easier to just manually shift the truck yourself. I've never been able to feel the better braking in off road mode, it stops damn good without off road mode. As for the air bags, I'm not worried.

When I'm gettin after it I shift into 4x4 or lock the rear diff depending on what terrain I'm in, hold the TC button down for ten seconds, drop the shifter in 1st and give her hell.

The down hill descend control is worthless too.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, ORM, engaging your rear electronic locking diff (pull the 4wd shift knob), and fully disengage traction control (hold traction control button till blinking) all go hand in hand by design. I also prefer shifting manually offroad

I personally shift manually too! I feel like I have more control of whats going on. More driver input thats for sure

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
wow no one warned the guy that the airbags wont deploy unless you really F up. And the brake system changes. The brakes will feel stronger sooner and abs will activate way later and much less, so off road if you slam on the brakes, it lets the dirt/sand pile up in front of the wheels to slow you instead of rotating. Also the throttle becomes lazier so over bumps your not constantly bouncing on the throttle uncontrollably.