what do i need to do some raptor runs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll ask if they have amber covers for the X2's cause that sounds like a good idea but I would only turn them on (if white) if I wrecked or was in trouble on the trail so someone coming up on me would see that I was there. When not off-road, I would use them as white backup lights since the factory ones suck!

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

My balls are small.

Mine too I found out… :hmmm2:

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The number one question you have to ask your self what type of driver you are ? Based on this would give a better idea of what would be best direction to go. Raptors are sent off the line capable to complete any run other than lights for night time needs. If your the kind of guy that must drive fast and not afraid of causing moderate damage to your truck ( not saying its going to happen) but if did it would just give you another project then I would say the most important item would be a QUILITY bump stop. If you have read any complaints about raptors the worst damage would be a bent frame from just going out to have some fun and just didn't hit the rut right. Now the rest of all mods I feel is based on your needs and financial ability's because everyone knows the sky is the limit on how much you can spend on these toys.

Im sure once you have your truck and get the feel for it you won't stop spending money it's a disease that most of us have caught.

Have Fun !

OP
OP
McDowell

McDowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my Raptor in November and should have it next month. I am going to my first run, the TRR in April. Some stuff I am doing ahead of time and because TRR has a lot of sponsors and vendors there, I am getting the majority of the mods done there with TMX. Here is a list that I am doing.

1. 30" and 40" Blackhawks LED lights (so you can drive at night and see)
2. X2 pair - rear lights, waiting on their brackets to go under the bumper - Installing @ TRR (so people behind you can see you incase you are in the dust)
3. Covet Bed Cage with all the goodies added so I don't have to mess with it - Installing @ TRR (to put my tire, gas cans, jack, extras in the bed and still have the soft tonneau cover on)
4. RPG Stage 2 - Installing @ TRR (Bump stop, if not then get the $100 SDHQ Frame Kit)
5. TMX Skid plate - Installing @ TRR (so I don't ruin the Ford one)
6. Recovery Strap
7. SDHQ off-road kit (includes tire kit to fix punctures)
8. Mid Perch - (to raise your front end)
9. Some runs list what is required to have, like a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and helmet for example.

Other than whatever is required, you can go stock from what I understand but if I had to pick one or two, it would be the SDHQ Frame Kit and Mid Perch.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

No, just the mid perch. It supposedly brings your front end up 1.5-2" so you are leveling it out already.

i work and partially own a welding and fab shop do i really need to buy the sdhq frame kit could i not make my own?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I learned at Havoc in the Hills… I doesn't matter what is on the truck. With enough balls you can break anything. Best mod is the driver.

Have you ever off roaded before? If so, in what vehicle and what type of terrain?

The #1 thing you need to be concerned with is learning how to drive off road and do it safely (for your vehicle and others).

There are lots of threads on this forum related to driving off road. Please check them out and learn all you can.

Modding your truck is great fun and spend but knowing how to drive on and off road safely and with the proper safety and rescue gear is the first step.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever off roared before? If so, in what vehicle and what type of terrain?

The #1 thing you need to be concerned with is learning how to drive off road and do it safely (for your vehicle and others).

There are lots of threads on this forum related to driving off road. Please check them out and learn all you can.

Modding your truck is great fun and spend but knowing how to drive on and off road safely and with the proper safety and rescue gear is the first step.

Enjoy!

Dan..."raptor 11" is still beating your butt in ff...

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Gas Card! No really a gas card! All kidding aside been on 2 Baja trips & some local runs so far on stock supension upper perch no issues (drove her pretty hard). Bed / chase cage a must for tires & stuff. The rear lite is nice for dusty conditions, might save you a rear ender. And everyone seems to be using VHF radios & Nav systems these days. Good luck with your truck hope you get her soon!

OP
OP
McDowell

McDowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever off roared before? If so, in what vehicle and what type of terrain?

Enjoy!

yes all i have ever owned were 4x4 trucks and gone through trails and played around quite a bit. but they were either chevy half tons or 2 ford diesels and a duramax. the raptor scene is just new for me.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a Raptor run coming up in a few months called the TRR or Texas Raptor Run. It is a weekend filled with fun and excitement, good camaraderie. there is a course you drive around at your own pace. The vehicles are mainly Raptors but some bring their Trophy Trucks out to play as well. I have not been myself but there are quite a few from Oklahoma that go every year.

Jim you going to TRR this year?