what do i need to do some raptor runs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McDowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am supposed to be ordering my raptor tomorrow and i am wanting to get into the raptor runs i have seen everyone talk about.

i live in oklahoma and havent really seen anything about any around here so i am wanting to know where the closest place to do some are?

Also, what equipment should i get before trying to do these? i dont want to be some guy that shows up unprepared and not knowing what im doing.

i would like some pointers and help please. Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are talking about truck mods, talk to jimmy at wsi. he is in kansas, or talk to tmx. they are north of dallas. they both are going to be your most knowledgable contacts a reasonable distance from you.

your basic list should include mid perch, or upgraded suspension, bumper, offroad lights, tow straps, shackles, comm radio, offroad gps, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, common sense, shovel, duct tape, handcuffs...... oh wait, that last one was for the wife.......

runs are usually announced and tell you what you will need. but for most runs a stock setup is ok, just understant the limits of the truck.

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a Raptor run coming up in a few months called the TRR or Texas Raptor Run. It is a weekend filled with fun and excitement, good camaraderie. there is a course you drive around at your own pace. The vehicles are mainly Raptors but some bring their Trophy Trucks out to play as well. I have not been myself but there are quite a few from Oklahoma that go every year.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The individual runs will let you know what you need. Most are easy to prepare for.

Shackles/D-rings, radio for comms, some require the spare to be in the bed (my first one did not), otherwise mainly just your normal off-road/safety gear. No need to worry about modding the truck. It works just fine bone stock! I went on my first outing within a month after picking up the truck. Other than a few very basic mods, it was bone stock and performed flawlessly with plenty of room to spare.

But first you have to go through the waiting process like the rest of us. GL! The wait is so worth it!!!

OP
OP
McDowell

McDowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a Raptor run coming up in a few months called the TRR or Texas Raptor Run. It is a weekend filled with fun and excitement, good camaraderie. there is a course you drive around at your own pace. The vehicles are mainly Raptors but some bring their Trophy Trucks out to play as well. I have not been myself but there are quite a few from Oklahoma that go every year.

The individual runs will let you know what you need. Most are easy to prepare for.

Shackles/D-rings, radio for comms, some require the spare to be in the bed (my first one did not), otherwise mainly just your normal off-road/safety gear. No need to worry about modding the truck. It works just fine bone stock! I went on my first outing within a month after picking up the truck. Other than a few very basic mods, it was bone stock and performed flawlessly with plenty of room to spare.

But first you have to go through the waiting process like the rest of us. GL! The wait is so worth it!!!

if you are talking about truck mods, talk to jimmy at wsi. he is in kansas, or talk to tmx. they are north of dallas. they both are going to be your most knowledgable contacts a reasonable distance from you.

your basic list should include mid perch, or upgraded suspension, bumper, offroad lights, tow straps, shackles, comm radio, offroad gps, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, common sense, shovel, duct tape, handcuffs...... oh wait, that last one was for the wife.......

runs are usually announced and tell you what you will need. but for most runs a stock setup is ok, just understant the limits of the truck.

thanks guys yall have been very helpful. i am hoping to hurry up and get the truck so i can have some fun and meet some of the forum memebers

OP
OP
McDowell

McDowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it be bad on the truck to do a 2" leveling kit and the mid perch or no?

D

Deleted member 12951

I ordered my Raptor in November and should have it next month. I am going to my first run, the TRR in April. Some stuff I am doing ahead of time and because TRR has a lot of sponsors and vendors there, I am getting the majority of the mods done there with TMX. Here is a list that I am doing.

1. 30" and 40" Blackhawks LED lights (so you can drive at night and see)
2. X2 pair - rear lights, waiting on their brackets to go under the bumper - Installing @ TRR (so people behind you can see you incase you are in the dust)
3. Covet Bed Cage with all the goodies added so I don't have to mess with it - Installing @ TRR (to put my tire, gas cans, jack, extras in the bed and still have the soft tonneau cover on)
4. RPG Stage 2 - Installing @ TRR (Bump stop, if not then get the $100 SDHQ Frame Kit)
5. TMX Skid plate - Installing @ TRR (so I don't ruin the Ford one)
6. Recovery Strap
7. SDHQ off-road kit (includes tire kit to fix punctures)
8. Mid Perch - (to raise your front end)
9. Some runs list what is required to have, like a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and helmet for example.

Other than whatever is required, you can go stock from what I understand but if I had to pick one or two, it would be the SDHQ Frame Kit and Mid Perch.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

would it be bad on the truck to do a 2" leveling kit and the mid perch or no?

No, just the mid perch. It supposedly brings your front end up 1.5-2" so you are leveling it out already.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 12951

Amber I hope.. white wont get you any love. Amber covers will work

I'll ask if they have amber covers for the X2's cause that sounds like a good idea but I would only turn them on (if white) if I wrecked or was in trouble on the trail so someone coming up on me would see that I was there. When not off-road, I would use them as white backup lights since the factory ones suck!

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

From what I learned at Havoc in the Hills… I doesn't matter what is on the truck. With enough balls you can break anything. Best mod is the driver.

My balls are small. (Because I am married too long so everything down there has shriveled up)

Last edited by a moderator: