Veteran's Day is NOT about making a quick buck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find it hard to swallow when I see Veteran's Day come around and all of a sudden there are "SALES" or "SPECIALS" out there as a way to make money!

Why can't we have this day to remember the fallen, the hurt and all those others that have served, are serving or will serve.

Unless you're willing to take all profits and donate them to the many charitable organizations out there for our veterans and their families, I think that should be off limits. Normal daily operations is fine but to promote a sale because people have died defending my freedoms is appalling to me.

Please, let us remember the great things these brave men and women have done for us.

(...thanx for letting me rant)

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dont think its about making a dollar. Correct me if Im wrong, but I think its more about giving back to those that have served in the military. Most of the sales I've seen were for military personnel. If anyone is doing it just to make money, theyre gonna have to live with that and Im sure karma will get em eventually.

OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dont think its about making a dollar. Correct me if Im wrong, but I think its more about giving back to those that have served in the military. Most of the sales I've seen were for military personnel. If anyone is doing it just to make money, theyre gonna have to live with that and Im sure karma will get em eventually.

I will agree with you if it is indeed for the Veteran. But I go down the road or read on the internet about sales today. How many of these sales are for the VETERAN. If they are specifically for them then you're doing them a great service. If it's for everyone else, that's where I have issues.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont advertise much here on the forum, everyone knows who i am already. but giving stuff away to the people who protect us is one thing i will always do. sure, the things i give away need other items to be purchased, but if i can make it just that much cheaper for one of them to get into a system they want, then i have made someone happy. take the two winners of julys contest for example, neither of them were ready for the big purchase yet, so i still hold their prizes here in my shop waiting for them to tell me the time is right. there is no expiration date on my gifts. i do see where you are coming from though. a lot of local business's have the veterans day sale to promote business for themselves. not many people now days realize the true meaning of today. i will never forget. my best friend since i was 3 is a veteran now. first thing i did was call him this morning to wish him the best. i would love to see, instead of a sale, a giveaway. financially i can only give so much, but if every business donated one item, there would be a lot of happy vets around.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'll agree. Not everyone has the same intentions. Seen a lot of good stuff around here but a lot of places offer Veteran's Day Sales just because it's a holiday. These are the same places that will offer a sale on almost any holiday regardless of its purpose.

OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong guys. I know these Vets appreciate everything you do to help them with discounts, free shipping, etc. I know I would.

As it was mentioned, it's the companies that throw out a sale just because its a holiday as MobileBeats reiterated.

They don't make mention anywhere in their advertising that it's a special for Vets or special discounts just for Vets. They just throw it out there for EVERYONE. THat's the part I'm not ok with.

We need to treat these soldiers out there and the vets out there with extreme care and thankfulness! They deserve that.

For you guys (companies) that know you do that already, then there is nothing in my initial statement that should pertain to you. You know who you are and you're greatly appreciated!

For those that don't give a shit and are just out there to make a quick buck - well then that's a problem you will have to live with and deal with.

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a veteran and also can see the flip side of it... all the commercial activity helps keep it on the radar and not fading away into obscurity.

For example, how many non-church goers celebrate Christmas with gift-giving? I'd say a whole lot. Do the churches (who simpily recognize Christmas as a holiday when Jesus was born) benefit from all the publicity that leads a few thousands of extra folks to a Christmas mass/prayer/donation? Probably so...

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Veterans that have gone and defended our freedom are the very reason those companies can go out and advertise a Veteran's Day Sale. If anything, the fact that these businesses have these sales is a symbol of what Veteran's have done for the American people, economy, and businesses. Without them, we wouldn't have the freedom to enjoy these sales, either.