Upfitter Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Creek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some help figuring out the upfitter switches.

I understand about the pass-through wires that are hidden behind the glove box. I (think) understand that should I want to connect a light I'd run a wire from the light to the fuse box and another to the appropriate wire in the engine compartment. What I don't understand is do I then need to run a wire from the inside wire (behind the glove box) to the switch? If so, how do I get behind the switch panel.

Am I any where near being right?

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the upfitter switches are already hot so to speak. #1 and #2 are 30a, 3 is 20a i think and #4 is 15amp.

You only need to tie them together behind the glove box if you want to wire something inside the engine compartment. If you are wiring something inside the car or behind the dash, your already hot.

Tying them together behind the glovebox only gives you hot wires in the engine bay

:) so to answer your question, the switches are hot right now. All you need to do is plug something into them.

Raptor2010

Reaction score
I need some help figuring out the upfitter switches.

I understand about the pass-through wires that are hidden behind the glove box. I (think) understand that should I want to connect a light I'd run a wire from the light to the fuse box and another to the appropriate wire in the engine compartment. What I don't understand is do I then need to run a wire from the inside wire (behind the glove box) to the switch? If so, how do I get behind the switch panel.

Am I any where near being right?

What I did with my light bar driving lights is run one wire to chasis ground. Make sure it's a good ground in the engine compartment. The one I used is on the passenger fender. Then run the positive wire to the wire next to the glove box. Your raptor book that comes with the truck tells you which wire goes to which switch. Runs threw the fire wall on passenger side. Hook that up to that wire and your done. You don't have to wire to the switches. They are wired up already. Flip it on when nothing is wired up to it and it still lights up. It's very simple the way they designed it. Any questions let me know. Hope that helps. To get to the wires by the glove box go beside it and take the panel off that the door covers up when closed. A lot easier then laying on the floor underneath.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
using higher amperage fuses than used by the manufacturer provides 2 problems. problem 1 will cause problem 2.

1) the oem wire used is rated at a specific amperage. higher amperage results in too much heat being transferred through the wire. this can cause melting of wires and a vehicle fire

2) if the result is melted wires or a fire in your vehicle, there will be no liability responsibility from the manufacturer whatsoever. since the cause of loss was directly an action from the end user (you) you are responsible for repairs.

now keep in mind, it is rare to find these cases but you never want to go above the rated amperage just for safetys sake. use relays with fuses and let the aux switch just power the relay.

M64D RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so aux switch #3 with the 15amp can't be used for a 40inch 240 watt led by my watt/amp calculation correct.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
use a relay. i use aux 1 to power 8 relays. 2 40" lightbars, 2air compressors, hood mounted leds, disco lights, rear amber leds, and rock lights. a relay only requires about 200ma to operate. a rough estimate would allow you to use approx 150 relays all at the same time off aux 1. each of those relays are rated at 30 amps themselves.