UPDATE - Baja Designs Leaking Lite Bar Replaced - Install of 20" within...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update... new unit has also failed. Waiting on response from BD via email.

Well... nothing is ever easy... regardless after much back and forth with BD about my issue finally came to an agreement for me to pay for an "upgrade". Though I wasn't entirely pleased with the entire process, there are a few nuances in their warranty that essentially left me uncovered as the 2nd owner of the raptor.

The deal they offered me in the end was reasonable certainly after I calculated the shipping costs to have the old unit repaired by them.

Now... to the install of the "new" unit. The original Baja Designs lightbar was 22" and had been mounted deep inside the intake. The truck had been "modified" (more like hack sawed on) so the "large upper hole" needed to install the new 20" unit was physically gone.

uc

I made a few aluminum brackets to recreate the missing holes ...

uc

...and then plasti-dipped the whole mess to black it out.

uc

The original wiring matched up so that was no issue - plug and play.

The new kit includes a rather sad excuse for a "template" to cut a notch in the side bumpers to accommodate the bolt on the yoke. The template really isn't a template since it has no measurements, landmarks or positioning information, and in fact the accompanying photo for the raptor instructions for this image showed the bumper of an F350.

Here I've folded their fakey "template" to guesstimate where it should go... Note in reality the "template" is simply a rectangle in the middle of a blank piece of paper... (*sigh*)

uc

After working through that, the bonus upside of the hack job from the previous owner is that the sawed out areas provide free and clear access to the adjustment bolt on the back of the fixture.

Of note... one of the stainless mounting bolts snapped tightening it. The concept of using the bolts in general was flawed and the large bolts provided with the kit don't actually fit in the holes of the bracket they are intended too. Consequently I used other fasteners to complete the task.

Luckily I used the left over Allen heads from the various unused bracket hardware to complete the mounting of the unit. Honestly it's better to use the Allen heads - you can easily get a long tee handle through to tighten it... much easier than a socket or wrestling a wrench in there.

Also the side bolts for the yoke are bright chrome and really stick out like a sore thumb so I plasti-dipped those out too.

Finished product...

uc

Last edited:

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I have the same bar and mount as you. Ran into the same issues. Didn't need the template as I managed to fit mine behind the bumperettes without cutting notches.
Make sure to wire upthe runing lights, they look pretty slick.
Aim the bar slightly higher than you would imagine would be horizontal as the light pattern reacted better for me this way, otherwise is will be too bright dead center with "dark areas" on each side. Pair this bar with their 10" ONX lights and you will literally have 180 degrees of day light from ditch to ditch.
I'll continue to buy BD lights, no question.

Attachments

• IMG_4998.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 50

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The S8 (I'm assuming that's what that is) has the integral amber running lights that come on with the all the other Raptor specific lights.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait- you wanted a manufacturer to extend a warranty to the second owner (not original person who purchased the product) ?

Isn't a non transferable warranty pretty standard? This thread appears more of a hit job on BD than anything else.

D

Deleted member 12951

I don't know of any lighting company who extends the warranty beyond the original purchaser and wanting the receipt. Its very clear in their warranty policy.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/help/warranty-policy.asp

But of all the lights I have had over the years, Baja Designs is the best to work with in regards to a warranty and they have bent over backwards to make things right. This thread shows that they went above what they needed to. I for one purchased a bar from a FRF member and they took care of me by not charging me an arm and a leg to get it fixed then replaced. Will they do this every single time, of course not, its a case by case situation but I can tell you that I have not purchased another brand light and will stick with Baja Designs. They are the best performance light out there.