Underbody coating overspray... ugh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rabnud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

When I bought my raptor a week ago, I decided to have the dealer do the underbody coating.
I picked up the raptor yesterday from the dealer, today I noticed that there is a good amount of underbody coating on the Fox shocks, cam covers, exhaust system and who knows what else.

I would take it back, but they are located an hour away.
So.... What are my options? Will that come off without damaging the finishes on the shocks and cam covers? I've only had to put it on, never remove it.

Before I noticed it, the dealer called and requested that when I get the Ford dealer rating info that I rate them highest on all categories. I'm going to call them back and bring this up.
I'm kinda pissed about it. Had I known the finished product would be like this, I would have done it myself. Grrr!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it was paint, I'd say use a good quality claybar and some detailer. I just did this to my new Focus when they blasted the body panels.

But with it being on the cam covers, shocks and other areas -- I'd DEFINITELY make the call and make the drive to get this fixed. **** that.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
they should have a remover made specifically for removing over spray. depending on its thickness and severity they might be able to get it off without damaging the finish.

MPH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was stationed in Fairborn from 82-85, I had my truck rustproofed by Ziebart. They gave me a small bottle of a solution that I was to use to remove the undercoating that may have gotten on my paint (that missed their inspection). It worked real well. If the dealer won't fix it, give Ziebart a call. I am sure they will can possibly help you. Or at least tell you what you can use. Good luck to you.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This used to happen to me until I stopped getting undercoating done. Ever have em spray the inside (and overspray) your hood, 20" King Ranch wheels on a day old SuperDuty? lol

funny thing about the feedback thing from Ford.... my service guy promised me a full tank of gas if I would just hook him up on his survey.... I did... but before I did, I made sure they cleaned up the wheels, shocks, hood, etc... took em a day to clean, when they could have been careful and covered that shit in 2 minutes.

Hit the dealer back... get that stuff off soon or its on for good.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They use denatured alcohol on the paint if it's not too thick, may work. I've watched them do this to two of my other trucks on the cab.
No ill effects to the paint that I noticed.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get some mineral spirits at the hardware store in paint section and lots of white cloths. The mineral spirits should not harm the surface of the paint. But definitely test first. Also bug and tar remover from the automotive section should work. I am assuming the undercoating is tar based.

I would not take it back to that dealer, they might put some rube on it and **** it up worse than it is now!

Last edited:

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would pi** me off ! This dealer has no respect for you or your truck and the guy who sprayed it takes no pride in his work.

Take it back ! It obviously bothers you ......and me and its not even my truck !

dolfanatic1399

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, this is like deja vu. Exact same thing happened to me. I also had them take it and have the bed Line-X'd at dealer cost. I was so pissed off. There was undercoating on the shocks, fender flares, engine, and even on the rear bumper. Not to mention they had missed a bunch of spots. I told them if they didnt make it right they could stick it up their ass. I made the dealer drive an hour to my house and pick it up and then had them deliver it back to me. Somehow they got it all cleaned off and it looks pretty good. They called me a few weeks later wanting to know when I was going to pay for the Line-X job. Needless to say they ate the cost of the bed liner. I also gave them a **** poor rating on their Ford dealer survey. I will never do business again with Joe Machen. The sales dept was very shadey and the service dept should be ashamed of their shotty work.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatal