Trick to getting front diff cover off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read the threads on here that some people say it's easy, and some sat it's hard. I'm wondering if there is a special way or trick to getting the front diff cover on and off. I dented the edge of mine so I have to replace it.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just use a putty knife to carefully pry around the edges of the cover to break the seal after removing all the bolts except one. Leave the top bolt loosely attached so the cover doesn’t just fall off. Otherwise, it’s just a matter of angling the cover past the steering components since it’s a tight area.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not quite as effective in draining the differential as removing the cover, but using a fluid pump to remove the gear oil is a lot easier. I've done it twice with good results.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anybody make a cover with a drain plug, like the spicer for the rear

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no other options but to completely remove the cover because of having to replace it. (Dented the old one in the desert) it took some wedging and wiggling, but I finally got it passed the steering rack. It's definitely doable with a lot of patients.