Transmission oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roasted7

Reaction score
So I got home from work today and noticed about an 8 inch diameter oil spot on my driveway. Crawled under the truck and noticed oil leaking from the back part of the tranny but it was hard to tell exactly where. I took it to ford so they could put it on a lift and take a look. They seem to think it's coming from the seal between the transfer case and the tranny. So here's my questions:

1) Should that seal be the culprit, how big of job is it to replace?

2) I'm heading out on a trip tomorrow that's about 1400 miles round trip. Think it'll be ok until I get back?

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year ? My '10 had a leak at rear of trans and it was the pass thru connector on rh rear side got it fixed under warranty.

There is a TSB about this.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, what the heck? No way I'm driving mine down the block with a trans leak like that. Get that thing in the shop and get it fixed already!!!!

OP
OP
roasted7

roasted7

Reaction score
I found a TSB on a bulk head connector. It's probably that but still could be the seal between the transfer case and tranny.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Odds are it's the bulkhead connector. Common issue on the early ones. Dealer will take care of you.

Antlers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the bulkhead seals on mine this weekend. Wasn't too bad. Tasca has them for $6. Would get a filter from them too since you're dropping the pan anyway ($25). My drain pan had like 6 quarts in it but the transmission took 8. It shifts really nicely now though!