Trans being repaired.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Hey All,

Been a bit since I have has anything tosay. Still lurk.

Anyway, my trans has had a soft shift issue from 3-4 gear for years. Almost like it shifts to 4th then locks in like the old style lock up converters for OD. Kinda like 2 shifts. Like it slipped a tad. Then it started doing weird shit like at slow speed in a parking lot at 10 mph it shifted from 1st to 2nd with a BAM! VIOLENT shift. Knock you shades off your face type BANG!

I had the truck in for minor stuff and the dealers always say, no problem found. Well its got worse and worse. I asked dealer again and was told without a code on dash no way to just dive in. Well ok.

So after the big deal over the fuse 27 repair I had and my talk with the service manager I told him about the trans issue. We drove and it worked fine. That's what always happens is it not? LOL. So its slip between 3 and 4 got more frequent and longer. I went by on a Friday and took him for another ride. It was raining and it would not act up. SHIT!

So we talked and I told him Ill drive it till it ***** and we will know what to fix. Well 3 days later it shit! Doing 25- 30 mph around a intersection I rolled on the gas to accell a tad. I mean just a slight roll on to get it to down shift from 4 to 3. All at once BOOM! SLIP ratcheting sounds like an air hammer cutting steel in a body shop noises and no engagement. I of corse let of and saw the gear light go from 1st to 5th. WOW! I got back in the gas and it slipped. I manually shifted it to 6th gear. It engaged and I went on my way to work. A few miles later at a light it went 1-2-3- and slippppppppand errrrrrrr. I again shifted to 5th and it quit. So the next 5 or 6 miles to work I manually shifted 1-2-3 to 45 mph then went up to 6th. No issue.

I called Butch the service manager and told him it shit. I got a wrecker company info and told him I will drive it in and if it ***** it will be towed. Once at the dealer I took the service writer for a ride. Accelled from 45 mph and it dropped to 1st with a violent BANG WHAM! He bout shit. I said YES. It did it with a ford guy in the truck. LOL. Its been there for a week now. They say all the clutches look like a die grinder hit the surfaces. They are replacing 3 solenoids and the clutch pack?.

We will see in a few days.

BDRAG

Last edited:

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of what yours is doing sounds like mine last summer! Mine finally started clanging like a diesel and the dealer finally figured out it was the torque convertor (after 30+ days at the shop and I had picked it up twice with them saying it was fixed)...After the convertor was replaced and some serious trans flushing, mine has been good ever since!

Good luck with the issue...

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
I have had issues with the trans for at least the last 2 years. Started around 40,000-42,000 miles. Has 67,500 or so now. This will make that extended warranty pay for itself. Well at least I hope it does.

BDRAG

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Picked the truck up 5/16/16. The dealer, Five Star Ford Plano had the truck 2 weeks. I was kept informed of what was going on even though my service advisor never came back to work. WTF? After 2 weeks in the dealer I expected a big surprise at the cashier. When I went to return my free rent car and pick up the truck, I figured I would have shop supplies and this and that which I figured was gonna be $200- $500 over whatever my Ford Extended warrantee was going to cover. To my wonderful surprise all I owed was the $100 deductible. WOW! Pleasant surprise!

Raptor Drives again. I noticed first off it shifts much more positive in every gear. Should since it was refurbished. I will list the total package and parts installed when I get a chance. Cost on the ticket was around $1650 in labor and $620 in parts. Plus the $300 in rentals the cost to my warrantee was around $2500.......

Since myself and many others here on the forum have had such bad issues with some of the Ford dealer shops I figured I better get under the truck and see what was good and what was bad before I take off anywhere far from home. The ticket said the tranny was on the bench so much had to come out to get it to the bench.

So I called a friend that has a great 60 x 90 shop next to his house with a great lift. So after dinner I went over and we got down to work. I had my big bad ass hunting LED light and Pete had his 1960's era 60 watt bulb drop light. We could see where the shop removed the front sway bar and re installed. Removed the lower cross member and re installed. Drive shaft, tranny pan, exhaust, all removed and re installed and it all looked really well done! WOW! Again I was pleasantly surprised and comfy now with the knowledge the job on the removal and install looked correct. There were no hanging wires out of place or discernable leaks of any kind. Aside from a few bolt heads that had been worked over hard, all looked really well done. So credit given when due.

I will put 500 miles on it and see what we see. The main difference I noticed right off is the gear indicator on the dash. In the past, to see the gear your in on the dash you had to toggle the gear shift toggle on the stick. Every time you start and stop you had to select it once again. Now, its on all the time unless you de select it. Start and stop and its there now every time. hum? Not an issue just different.

I still seem to have the nagging hard shift / drive line smack if I am creeping in 2nd or 3rd at 10 - 15 mph and roll out from say my alley way to the street which is a short but steep hump down hill. The truck will roll over and as I just touch the gas it down shifts to 1st then immediately hits 2nd and its hard and can make a hell of a bam and pop. Seems like maybe slack in the drive line but I latched on to the drive shaft while it was on the lift and there is slop but nothing massive. It may be in the transfer case. Any impute from the experts there?

Again I will say that this time the dealer did seem to be proficient and tried to get it right and give the customer what they expect. Again hats off at this time to Five Star Ford Plano team........

BDRAG

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be sure if, after you get the little issues resolved, that you list them in the 'good' dealers to go to in case someone else needs the work done right.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you!!!

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
UPDATE: 7/5/16:

Put 1200 miles on the Raptor after the tranny rebuild. Still not right. Still has issues between 2nd and 3rd now like before when it was between 3rd and 4th. So in the shop it went for a week to fix tranny. Also having rear camera issues and a/c issue. Had right front cv shaft replaced due to boot leak. That's another thread.. Mechanic drove it home one night, 70 miles round trip on my gas card, and says something seems a little amiss.

They changed another solenoid. I pick it up. I did not get 20 feet and bang pow into second gear. WTF. I mean at 4 mph it hits so hard I shit myself. Snapped my neck! Errrrrrrrr.

So I kept calm. I drove around for about 45 minutes. I did some sample take offs of different speeds. If I roll out as if in traffic it bangs at shift. If you hammer it its not so bad. If your in 4th and roll into it as if to pass from 20 mph in 4th to get to 40 mph it drops to second and its freaking violent just like when it destroyed itself. If you drop to manual shift and use button on stick, it takes between 3 and 5 seconds to up shift after tabbing up shift button. So something is still toast after the rebuild and the second attempt to fix it.

So I drove back and gave the shop foreman and the mechanic a short ride. They seem to feel it now. What a surprise! When it shifted to second at 5 mph and snapped their necks the mechanic says, Its like a shift kit in a street race car. lol. I did not think it was too funny. We did a few take offs and the decision was made to gut all the solenoid's and the control module and replace them. This is all to take place the week of 7/11/16.

I have been Very patient. VERY PATIENT! I told them this is the last try. If this is not resolved this trip I will want to converse with Ford and get a NEW Tranny and Torque converter. The whole damn thing replaced. I am not pissed. I am just tired of loosing work hours and also I have a limited time and miles left on my Extended warrantee.

So we will see what's in store next week. Fingers crossed! The worst thing is I do not know **** about Auto Transmissions to offer ANY opinion as to why or what is doing this or that. Frustrating!

BDRAG

Last edited:

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: 7/5/16:

Put 1200 miles on the Raptor after the tranny rebuild. Still not right. Still has issues between 2nd and 3rd now like before when it was between 3rd and 4th. So in the shop it went for a week to fix tranny. Also having rear camera issues and a/c issue. Had right front cv shaft replaced due to boot leak. That's another thread.. Mechanic drove it home one night, 70 miles round trip on my gas card, and says something seems a little amiss.

They changed another solenoid. I pick it up. I did not get 20 feet and bang pow into second gear. WTF. I mean at 4 mph it hits so hard I shit myself. Snapped my neck! Errrrrrrrr.

So I kept calm. I drove around for about 45 minutes. I did some sample take offs of different speeds. If I roll out as if in traffic it bangs at shift. If you hammer it its not so bad. If your in 4th and roll into it as if to pass from 20 mph in 4th to get to 40 mph it drops to second and its freaking violent just like when it destroyed itself. If you drop to manual shift and use button on stick, it takes between 3 and 5 seconds to up shift after tabbing up shift button. So something is still toast after the rebuild and the second attempt to fix it.

So I drove back and gave the shop foreman and the mechanic a short ride. They seem to feel it now. What a surprise! When it shifted to second at 5 mph and snapped their necks the mechanic says, Its like a shift kit in a street race car. lol. I did not think it was too funny. We did a few take offs and the decision was made to gut all the solenoid's and the control module and replace them. This is all to take place the week of 7/11/16.

I have been Very patient. VERY PATIENT! I told them this is the last try. If this is not resolved this trip I will want to converse with Ford and get a NEW Tranny and Torque converter. The whole damn thing replaced. I am not pissed. I am just tired of loosing work hours and also I have a limited time and miles left on my Extended warrantee.

So we will see what's in store next week. Fingers crossed! The worst thing is I do not know **** about Auto Transmissions to offer ANY opinion as to why or what is doing this or that. Frustrating!

BDRAG

I feel your pain.

My Truck has been at my local Ford dealership with similar issues for over 2 month now. The service manager can replicate the shifting issue at will, but no codes are showing. They told me they have already replaced the shift solenoid as well as the Speed sensors in the tranny with no success. I was told they are now looking at the PCM. I have no idea when I will get it back. It sucks.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...When it shifted to second at 5 mph and snapped their necks the mechanic says, Its like a shift kit in a street race car. lol. I did not think it was too funny...

Because RACETRUCK ! :biggrin:

All kidding aside, hope they are able to correct the problem for ya, sucks when it takes numerous trips to the shop for the same problem to get resolved. :(