Tranny cooler (in radiator)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voodoo-chile

Reaction score
A short time after flushing my radiator, I noticed my tranny leaking...a lot! It appears that the tranny cooler section in my radiator has failed & that my tranny is now full of coolant. I know I have to replace the radiator & flush the tranny...my question: Can I replace the radiator with one that doesn't have the internal tranny cooler? Honestly, I would think that it would heat the fluid rather than cooling it. I really don't know how I did this...What are your opinions on this? 2010 5.4

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A short time after flushing my radiator, I noticed my tranny leaking...a lot! It appears that the tranny cooler section in my radiator has failed & that my tranny is now full of coolant. I know I have to replace the radiator & flush the tranny...my question: Can I replace the radiator with one that doesn't have the internal tranny cooler? Honestly, I would think that it would heat the fluid rather than cooling it. I really don't know how I did this...What are your opinions on this? 2010 5.4

Yes you can, and you can install a larger trans cooler, others have done it, and or added to the factory one, but the factory one should be fine unless your hard on your truck,

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

voodoo-chile

Reaction score
I have the stock external tranny cooler... would that be enough? Is there something I am missing?... Why would anyone EVER design it like this? It's just way too easy to scrap your tranny!

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock external tranny cooler... would that be enough? Is there something I am missing?... Why would anyone EVER design it like this? It's just way too easy to scrap your tranny!

It was done to help bring the Trans up to Temp faster as well as help the oil to the air cooler ,by attempting to reduce the oil temp to about 200 deg before passing it through the oil to air cooler. I could be wrong with the temp numbers, but that's the theory.

Last edited:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine will not provide full torque until the transmission reaches a certain temperature. So having the internal cooler should ensure that that temp will always be reached in cold climates.

R,
HAP