Traded my Raptor - A Cautionary Tale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The worst part is, it's not just that I miss the Raptor. I was walking back to my truck yesterday when I noticed something odd... my hood doesn't fit properly. So, I started to really look over the truck closely and the fit and finish of the body panels is horrible. I also found some paint runs at the edges, and a small chip that was cleared over a the factory. I didn't notice any of this before I left the dealership, as I had only done a quick walk around to make sure nothing too obvious is wrong. I was in dealership management several years back, so normally a car is a car to me, for the most part. I had never even sat in or drove a 2015, before arranging the deal with my old auto group over the phone. After a thorough inspection yesterday, I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed with the way this new truck is put together.

Why would you trade a Raptor for a normal F150? I could see it if it was a Super Duty or F250 or above but IMO nothing in the half ton line is up to what a Raptor is.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst part is, it's not just that I miss the Raptor. I was walking back to my truck yesterday when I noticed something odd... my hood doesn't fit properly. So, I started to really look over the truck closely and the fit and finish of the body panels is horrible. I also found some paint runs at the edges, and a small chip that was cleared over a the factory. I didn't notice any of this before I left the dealership, as I had only done a quick walk around to make sure nothing too obvious is wrong. I was in dealership management several years back, so normally a car is a car to me, for the most part. I had never even sat in or drove a 2015, before arranging the deal with my old auto group over the phone. After a thorough inspection yesterday, I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed with the way this new truck is put together.

There's lots of complaints on the 15's. From fit and finish to mechanical issues...this is a huge reason why I got my '13 and don't plan on getting the 2017 until they work these bugs out. I'd bring it back in and make Ford take care of you, making it right. If they can't, see what it takes to get back in a Raptor.

OP
OP
Scubasigguy

Scubasigguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what's the big deal? Wait only 20 months and trade in your truck.

You're obviously another vehicle modder & flipper who has more money than fiscal sense. Good for you!

Actually the Raptor was stock except for a bed liner and tint, so not a "modder".

I normally trade in that timeline, because the vehicle is nearly out of warranty, based on my annual mileage. I buy Fords at close to net cost, which is arguably cheaper than keeping them and paying for maintenance and potential repairs, based on 90-100k miles every three years.

As for my "fiscal sense", I traded the vehicle to cash in on it's current high valuation. If the vehicle we drive is the primary indication of our "fiscal sense", then it's probably fair to say that all Raptor owners are in trouble.

My point was that this is the first vehicle that I have regretted trading in.

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There's lots of complaints on the 15's. From fit and finish to mechanical issues...this is a huge reason why I got my '13 and don't plan on getting the 2017 until they work these bugs out. I'd bring it back in and make Ford take care of you, making it right. If they can't, see what it takes to get back in a Raptor.

Can you elaborate on these complaints? I haven't really heard anything negative yet.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on these complaints? I haven't really heard anything negative yet.
Wavy roof line seams, poorly fitted leather/rear seats, think there were a couple whose parking brakes weren't connected, "excessive" surface rust on undercarriage, cooled seats not working, bumper gaps not even, paint issues, etc... There were about 12,000 recalled so for a steering issue.

For every person that has a complaint, there are many many more that are perfectly happy with no issues.

Official: 2015 Complaint Thread!

Seems more people are just expecting absolute perfection with what these new trucks cost.

Last edited: