Traded my Raptor - A Cautionary Tale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scubasigguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can help keep others from making the same mistake...

Well, I bought my 2014 Raptor with the idea that I could drive it for 18-24 months for free, if Ford didn't release a 2015 or 2016 model. The problem is that it worked too well. I did just that, I bought a new truck at invoice with a trade in value of more than I paid new for the Raptor (with 29k miles on it). What I didn't realize was how much I was going to miss my Raptor (it's only been 4 days!). It wasn't a perfect vehicle, but it was much more aesthetically appealing than my 2015 Platinum FX4. While I don't miss the speed governed 6.2's performance, I really miss it's growl. Sure, the new truck has some bells and whistles that the Raptor did not, my favorite being the multi-contour seats (Ford marketing needs to do a better job of describing and marketing that feature), but it just doesn't have any attitude. I am contemplating buying another 2014 Raptor now, or trading one of my other vehicles to get mine back. I usually trade trucks about every 20 months and am happy to have the newest tech to play with, but not this time. It's a first world problem I know, but we all have our issues, right?

D

Deleted member 12951

Perhaps you should have rented a 2015 truck for a week but might not of been like the real thing anyways since you know you still have it. At this point, you might as well just hold out for the 2017 and own up to your current mistakes.

I personally haven't kept a truck longer than 3 years (always buy new and trade) but this raptor is different, I plan on keeping it for awhile, I have finally reached "zen" and at peace. Now if I can just get my shock taken care of quickly, that is my first world problem right now.....

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of people who have been in your shoes. Trade in their raptor only to find out there new truck dose not fill the void left by loosing the raptor. I know if the day ever comes that I have to replace mine with something else the bars set perty high.

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Precisely why I cashed in on the value of my 2011 but did not move to another truck. That sort of move is cursed; you'll forever compare the new truck to your old Raptor and it will never measure up.

When I made my move, I went to a sports sedan. It's a totally different beast and I don't expect it to measure up to the Raptor. It will tide me over nicely until the second year of the new Raptor (2018) is out, then I can reassess and decide if I want another Raptor or not.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I own a Subaru Forester and the Raptor, I am trying to sell the Forester, in order to get a new Focus RS. I called and talked to the Ford dealership where I tried to buy a Raptor from but could not due to price. They offered me a cash price for my current Raptor and I was calling to order a Focus RS. They said the demand for the 6.2 liter is so great that they get calls daily from people wanting that engine either in Raptors or other F150s.

Cool I guess when it comes to resell but I do not want to sell my truck.

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man the demand for these trucks up in nh is crazy. The dealership down the road had a 14 ruby for 3 days and sold it for 59000. Then had 8 calls for it after it sold. The truck had 16000 miles. I drove in with mine and they wanted it bad they made me a offer and i drove off waving.

OP
OP
Scubasigguy

Scubasigguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst part is, it's not just that I miss the Raptor. I was walking back to my truck yesterday when I noticed something odd... my hood doesn't fit properly. So, I started to really look over the truck closely and the fit and finish of the body panels is horrible. I also found some paint runs at the edges, and a small chip that was cleared over a the factory. I didn't notice any of this before I left the dealership, as I had only done a quick walk around to make sure nothing too obvious is wrong. I was in dealership management several years back, so normally a car is a car to me, for the most part. I had never even sat in or drove a 2015, before arranging the deal with my old auto group over the phone. After a thorough inspection yesterday, I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed with the way this new truck is put together.