Towing a track car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnsbruce

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some recommendations on a trailer for towing my track car with the Raptor? Car is about 3000lbs. I have never owned or used a trailer for towing a car and need some guidance.

Thanks!

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some recommendations on a trailer for towing my track car with the Raptor? Car is about 3000lbs. I have never owned or used a trailer for towing a car and need some guidance.

Thanks!

Need more information.
What make/model/year of car.
Which Raptor do you have?
How low profile is your race car? (Mine is 2" off the ground)
Do you want to go enclosed trailer or flatbed trailer?
Price you want to pay for trailer?

I have had 5 car trailers in the past 4 years. For one reason or another I have gotten rid of 3 of them.

OP
OP
T

tnsbruce

Reaction score
Additional info:

What make/model/year of car. BMW/Z4M/08
Which Raptor do you have? 2011 SCab
How low profile is your race car? (Mine is 2" off the ground) 3-4" off of the ground no front splitter
Do you want to go enclosed trailer or flatbed trailer? flatbed
Price you want to pay for trailer? I would like to pay $1000, but am willing to spend what it takes to get the car to the track safely.

Thanks!

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1k is going to get you pretty much a POS that is going to require you using boards to get your car on and off the trailer and you will have a wood deck that rots and requires replacing every couple of years if it is stored outside.

Rollback Trailers solve your low ground clerance problems

These roll back trailers rock. You pop a couple of pins, the brakes lock and you pull forward with your truck. The bed stays in its position and tilts the bed and your car down. We put our Shelby's on them. I've seen just about every type of car on these. Looking at around 4k though. Notice it also has the nose deflector to keep rocks, dirt and mud from flying up on your track car.

16carh1.jpg

Cheaper. 2-3k. The problem with wood and with diamond plate decks, they are slick as shit when wet. I have had one of these trailers and used it a lot for 2 years. The trick to stopping the sliding around (and I have seen a guy slide his car off sideways on a slick diamond plate deck) is to Linex the wheel paths on the trailer.

Last recommendations:
Used is always cheaper, but not by much. With new you know everything that has ever gone wrong with your trailer. How it was stored and how it was taken care of. Not many people can tell you the last time they checked the wheel hubs or brakes.

Do not get a black trailer. They will burn your hands if you touch them in the hot sun. Mine was silver.

Tire rack:

DSCN2390.gif

Makes getting your spare tires/wheels to the track easy.

OP
OP
T

tnsbruce

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info. This was very helpful. Looks like you have some high horse power cars in your garage. I think I will do one of the boss 302 cars as my next track car.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info. This was very helpful. Looks like you have some high horse power cars in your garage. I think I will do one of the boss 302 cars as my next track car.

I plan on tracking mine as well :waytogo:

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks!
I had a track prepped Audi s4 that I used to take to the track about once a month. Honestly I just rented a u-haul flatbed for 45 bucks every time. If your racing, then buying your own trailer would be worth it. But if its only going to be a once in a while get your track fix in, I don't think it's worth it. Anything decent will cost much more than 1k. Eithef way your truck will pull it no problem.

OP
OP
T

tnsbruce

Reaction score
I think the U-haul may be the way to go. I am headed to Watkins Glen in July and combining a vacation with the track even, so I need the trailer for a week. I need to see what it would cost for a weekly rental.