Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol, care to elaborate on what you thinks going to break?

1) I doubt you will break anything towing that rig however you are going to be increasing your wear rates on trans/breaks/etc

2) You are WAY over max combined weight == insurance are within their rights to leave you high and dry if you get into an accident, if police are involved you will likely get some very large tickets

3) You are probably way over taxing your breaks and don't have enough stopping power, however i'm sure that trailer has some breaks on it at that weight which may save you a little.

4) You're breaking the law and endangering everyone else around you because you think that your truck is capable of doing this when manufacturer has clearly stated it is not.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) I doubt you will break anything towing that rig however you are going to be increasing your wear rates on trans/breaks/etc

2) You are WAY over max combined weight == insurance are within their rights to leave you high and dry if you get into an accident, if police are involved you will likely get some very large tickets

3) You are probably way over taxing your breaks and don't have enough stopping power, however i'm sure that trailer has some breaks on it at that weight which may save you a little.

4) You're breaking the law and endangering everyone else around you because you think that your truck is capable of doing this when manufacturer has clearly stated it is not.

The max combined weight goes by axle spacing and tire weight capacity, therefore making it legal.

The trailer has plenty of braking power, and I'm still at around 40% on the truck brakes at 90k miles. Thanks for your concern. Use the manual shift mode, it's pretty amazing how much longer everything lasts when used with common sense.

I can assure you it's not illegal.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The max combined weight goes by axle spacing and tire weight capacity, therefore making it legal.

The trailer has plenty of braking power, and I'm still at around 40% on the truck brakes at 90k miles. Thanks for your concern. Use the manual shift mode, it's pretty amazing how much longer everything lasts when used with common sense.

I can assure you it's not illegal.

So go read your door sticker max combined weight is on it and that is the legal limit. Lets say you have a new screw that puts you at 8000Lbs towing capacity.

Trailer - 7000lbs
Quad 1 - Wet weight 350-400lbs
Quad 2 - Wet weight 350-400lbs
RZR - Dry weight 1200lbs Wet probably close to 1300lbs
150 Gallons of Water - 1500lbs
50 Gallons of Gas - 315lbs

This puts your trailer at between 10715 and 10915lbs outside of fords towing capacity for the vehicle. At this weight you probably looking at 700-1000lbs hitch capacity.

Your truck has a 1300lbs payload capacity leaving you 300-600lbs for people and gear. With a trailer like that you probably have the whole family or friends, so +600lbs of people, leaving you over by 300+lbs on truck payload. Thats before you have anything else that was not stock on your truck, bumbers/winches/skid plates/etc/etc. Or before you add any luggage, but I'll assume thats all in the trailer increasing your over weight amount by another ~300lbs (safety gear and clothing).

All in all your way over loaded and your insurance company is gonna laugh at you. Even if you get into a none fault accident you will become at fault due to the overloaded nature of your vehicle.

If you want to tow this rig go get a regular f-150 screw or a f250.

But oh you have a scab which has a 6000lbs towing capacity, putting you over weight by at least 4000lbs.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So go read your door sticker max combined weight is on it and that is the legal limit. Lets say you have a new screw that puts you at 8000Lbs towing capacity.

Trailer - 7000lbs
Quad 1 - Wet weight 350-400lbs
Quad 2 - Wet weight 350-400lbs
RZR - Dry weight 1200lbs Wet probably close to 1300lbs
150 Gallons of Water - 1500lbs
50 Gallons of Gas - 315lbs

This puts your trailer at between 10715 and 10915lbs outside of fords towing capacity for the vehicle. At this weight you probably looking at 700-1000lbs hitch capacity.

Your truck has a 1300lbs payload capacity leaving you 300-600lbs for people and gear. With a trailer like that you probably have the whole family or friends, so +600lbs of people, leaving you over by 300+lbs on truck payload. Thats before you have anything else that was not stock on your truck, bumbers/winches/skid plates/etc/etc. Or before you add any luggage, but I'll assume thats all in the trailer increasing your over weight amount by another ~300lbs (safety gear and clothing).

All in all your way over loaded and your insurance company is gonna laugh at you. Even if you get into a none fault accident you will become at fault due to the overloaded nature of your vehicle.

If you want to tow this rig go get a regular f-150 screw or a f250.

But oh you have a scab which has a 6000lbs towing capacity, putting you over weight by at least 4000lbs.

Good job, I can do math too.

The door sticker also has the 315 bfg load range C or D tires on it, which greatly effects the load rating. It's also based off factory rear springs/shocks and no load carrying devices such as airbags or in our case Bumpstops.

You'd probably have a coronary if I told you I've been doing it for 10k miles on non dot projects?

The OP asked if it would work, I posted to say it would. Not only did I not ask for your advice, I don't need it in the tiniest way.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe you should go ask a friendly LEO about what your doing and read the fine print of your insurance policy.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it says something like "dot approved tires and don't cut your frame off" I usually stop after that. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm here for the towing ********...

towing-gas-mileage-2.jpg

Don't worry, the load is distributed 50/50.

All of these towing threads are the same, @KaiserM715 can you merge them all together. We've come to the consensus that no matter what you add to the truck, you're not changing the factory ratings. Sure you might be able to tow a little more, but from a factory or insurance perspective, you're using it beyond the designed limits. If we went by this, why the hell do they even make a F350 or a F650, we can just add all of this shit to a F250 and be done with it.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
All of these towing threads are the same, @KaiserM715 can you merge them all together. We've come to the consensus that no matter what you add to the truck, you're not changing the factory ratings. Sure you might be able to tow a little more, but from a factory or insurance perspective, you're using it beyond the designed limits. If we went by this, why the hell do they even make a F350 or a F650, we can just add all of this shit to a F250 and be done with it.
Good idea. I have been meaning to do it, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.